Dropped Axle source?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Dropped Axle source?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

Looking for a source for a better dropped axle. Bought one from Lang's and upon receiving it, I found it is unserviceable. Called Lang's they are awesome, their vendor let them down and they are doing their best to take care of me. So nothing but good things to say about them. Bit of a bummer that I waited a long time to receive a poorly made drop axle though.

Does anyone have any experience with Nostalgia Sid's LLC Dropped Axles Service ? (www.droppedaxles.com) I know he comes to some of the shows/ swaps.

Best regards,

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Look in the classifies, I seem to recall one listed even comes with Chevrolet spindles that will drop the front down even lower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

I had seen one from Oklahoma at the Wichita Swap Meet a few years back. They also had V8 Ford dropped axles. Seemed like they were saying their axles were aligned which was the biggest problems with the ones I got years back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

I bought a 2 1/2 from Rootlieb and was really unhappy with it. I sent them the best core I had and got back a dropped axle with a hole in the center from when it was a trailer axle and one side had the threads stripped out. Contacted them and basically they told me I got a dropped axle and that was that.

I live about 45 minutes from you and have a 4" dropped axle under my Mercury speedster. It will be replaced with a 4" Mercury axle i have so this is extra. If you want to come look at it PM me to set up a time. I won't pull it out unless you look at it and want it. That won't take but a few minutes to remove it. Don't know who did it but looks nice, bring $300 if you want it, I don't negotiate well. Don't really need this extra axle but could use a pair of new Ford Jubilee fenders that I will buy either way.

Tim Moore

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

Tim,

Supplier was the same. Response was basically the same. First sign of trouble was that the thing looked like it spent the past 60 years as a boat anchor, but I've worked with worse so I pressed on haha. There was 1/8 of cupping due to corrosion on the bearing surfaces on the axle. I re-machined it to get the cupping out and make sure the king pin holes were nice and 90 to the bearing surface. Took juuusssst enough steel off that I had to turn my own brass spindle bushings to make them tight. sandblasted it, got a bit of twist out of it but didn't check the camber! Doah... Only realized how wonky it looked after it was mounted to the chassis with the wheels on. The Mk1 eyeball gauge told me something was amiss. (Double checked my spindles just now, they are nice and true)

Had about 15 hours of work into fixing this blasted axle before realizing it was really knackered (issue with the camber looks to be uneven bending in the "s" part of the drop) I can't see a good way to fix that, even on my big honking shop press.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

I have no affiliation or experience with this company but would consider them.

http://www.droppedaxles.com/index.html

Click on the Ford axle button and look for 1909-1927 T axles.

The business is hot rod oriented but may be worth a look. The website says please ask if you don't see what you need.

droppedaxle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 03:09 am:

I bought a Nostalgia Sid's dropped and stretched axle for my Model T speedster project,(www.droppedaxles.com),
to replace the not so good quality dropped axle I got from another supplier.
The Nostalgia Sid's axle is very nice quality work and I would highly recommend them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Nostalgia Sid did good for me, too. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

Sid is absolutely great to deal with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

I have a dropped and stretched axle from Nostalgia Sids! It's awesome. It came to me perfectly straight, correct caster and camber, with all of the holes correctly sized and threads in perfect shape. He does excellent work and I cannot say enough good things about him. Plus, he had what I wanted on the shelf and shipped it out the same day I ordered it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 02:56 am:

Call Sid. He may be able to fix yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

Well,

I probably should have just returned it and got one from Sid, but i am nothing if not suborn.

Anything is possible when you have access to a 100 ton shop press.

I was able to remove the twist from the axle, and set all 4 kingpin bolt hols parallel and equidistant. After a good amount of harsh language, and about 25 hours of work, i have a good axle.

I know that many parts in this hobby are shipped with the intention of the end user finishing them. But i feel that the work required to get this in spec was extremely excessive.

Put weight on the car to simulate the missing engine, and alignment looks good (whiten .25 degrees camber for the left and right) I can live with that.

I would strongly suggest avoiding Rootlieb for dropped axles unless you want a project and have a big honkin shop press. I still should have returned it, if i (or someone in the future) ever needs to change the spindle bushings they will be on the hook for making custom ones like I had to do. Spring perch holes were also super loose, i had to fix those yesterday.

Another angle, with a can of America's Favorite Libation (brake cleaner)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration