Seat riser for 23 Runabout...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Seat riser for 23 Runabout...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

A friend of mine has a 23 Runabout that we just got running here a month ago (engine was a bit of a mess). Then we found the seat was too high, so after making some modifications to the seats and putting the correct upholstery on the springs, my friend and I still are sitting a bit too high...which lead us to the conclusion that the seat riser was probably also not correct.

The car used to belong to his father (who was a short man) who probably built the seat box, (because it's made of wood) to suit himself...but we're not sure what the structure of the seat box is supposed to look like...is it made of wood? or is there a steel seat riser with a wood frame? Also not sure how the seat back spring support fits into the seat box...right now it's just laying on against the seat tack strip and the wood frame of the box and not secured in any way...is there some sort of structure that supports the seat back or ties it to the tack strip and the seat structure?

If you've got pictures of how the seat, it's box, back rest and springs are suppose to be in a 23 Runabout, please post them, we need to know how to build that part of his car, thanks. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 19, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

I suggest posting photos of what you have now so we can see what you are working with. Does it have the steel heel panel? Also look in the catalogs at the sheet metal. While not every piece is shown, there are some. By 23 there would have been a metal heel panel and steel channels the cushion sat in. You can buy the whole assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

My friend finally sent me some pictures of the problem...

We're not sure if there is some sort of wood spacer that should be behind the uprights for the back rest or where the back rest uprights are supposed to mount to....do they mount to the tack strip or below it? I think that the bottom of the back rest should go right behind the wood rails of the seat box (on that shelf butted up against the wood that the steel is screwed to). But since I don't have a runabout, I'm not sure.

Does anybody know what this assembly looks like before you put the fabric on? We'd appreciate pictures of how it's supposed to look. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/253472.html?1325232741

and

pic

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration