L.E.D. Headlights for Model T??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: L.E.D. Headlights for Model T??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patterson - Medical Lake, WA on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 12:20 am:

Has anyone seen or heard of L.E.D. headlights for the Model T? They now have them on many new cars, especially European sports cars.

With the development of solid state inverters and micro-power packs, it seems like the industry is getting nearer to something functional that might work with Model T's.

Anyone have any ideas??

Jim Patterson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 12:32 am:

I have LED headlights on my 11 touring, powered by a motorcycle battery underneath the rear seat. They draw ninety eight milliamps each so the battery will last for hours if needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patterson - Medical Lake, WA on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 12:58 am:

Do you have a brand name and part number for the motorcycle headlights you used? Do they fit inside the various year's Model T headlight fixtures?

Information and/or pictures on how you mounted them in the Model T gas headlight would be appreciated. I want to install them in my '14 speedster with fogged glass to "hide" my modern day cheating in place of the the gas headlight components with clear glass lens that shows all.

Thanks for your help.

Jim Patterson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 01:34 am:

Jim,

Out of curiosity, what is your desired outcome ... brighter lights ? Less
power draw ? Something else ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 04:44 am:

LED lights are highly directional. That is the reason replacement tail light globes have rings of LEDS around the bulb as well as those pointing rearwards. This is done because such lights have no reflector. Arranging multiple LEDS to make a parabolic reflector do its job may not be entirely possible. LED forward projecting lights have their own individual reflectors for each LED, grouped in circles like traditional lights, or in light bars.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 07:33 am:

I cant out run the lights on the roadster! With new reflectors made a big difference. Now I can see 30 feet instead of 10. I installed battery LED bicycle lights on the rear that clip on. They run 72 hrs on 1 AAA battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 09:37 am:

I have them on my 1915 and 1919. I have my lights wired up to a battery and the LED bulbs draw next to nothing. I don't remember the name right now, but I got them on line. They were about $10- $15 each. The "warm" bulbs look more like the original incandescent bulbs. The "cool" bulbs look too bright white.

Note if a combination headlight/horn is used, you CANNOT use it to run battery headlights and magneto horn. You will need to add a different light switch or replace the magneto horn with a battery horn.

Since my cars have no generator to charge the battery, I can run my lights for hours and not worry about getting caught in the dark.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 09:40 am:

-Jim-
Here's a few motorcycle LED sites to search. Looking at the site line-ups, they appear to be for 7" motorcycle headlights only.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=LED+motorcycle+headlights

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patterson - Medical Lake, WA on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 02:14 am:

Burger;
Hoping to get high headlight output with low power consumption while maintaining original Model T appearance.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 03:54 am:

Jim, maintaining the original appearance will be a problem. Most motorcycle lights are 7". Led specific lights will have multiple small reflectors and will not look at all like standard T lights. HID and LED lights need their own special construction to make the most of their lighting qualities.

From my search of a number of web sites, you may find LED replacement globes for T headlights, they will draw less current, but they will not give an efficient light spread with a T reflector.

Good LED lights and light bars are made the way they are for good reason.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton, Utah on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 07:49 am:

Might want to take a look at LEDLight.com on the internet. They are located in Chandler, Arizona. They have 6 volt, negative ground bulbs with 1156 and 1157 bases. They state that they will work on all 1909 thru 1927 Model Tís. They run about 5 or 6 bucks apiece, plus shipping. I have some and am in the process of converting, but havenít completed the process yet.

Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 08:44 am:

If led would work in a mag only car I would like to learn more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 11:35 am:

I am using these:

Two pole
https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-products/1157-cw3w-g%20cool%20white/

Single pole:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-w-stock-cover-36-smd-led-tower-ba15s-retrofit-rvb/2799/

They work for head lights or tail lights. The headlights work great on High Beam and act a running lights on low beam. I buy the Cool White. The headlights work perfectly with a clean reflector and display a perfect beam with no black spots.

I suspect they would even work off of the magneto as the voltage rating is from 10v to 30v.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Leach on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

LEDs require polarity correct DC current. You will need to use a diode? It would be like the hot shot setup if I remember right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

These LED's work on a 12vdc system.

They should also work on the Magneto as one half of the cycle would be the correct polarity. If you wanted to get more voltage from the magneto, you could wire in a full wave bridge rectifier.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-50A-1000V-Metal-Case-High-Current-Diode-Bridge-Recti fier-KBPC5010-Metal-Tool/161946262442?_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226&_trkparms=a id%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150817211709%26meid%3D8af8cc2 db62146be895ebecff477901a%26pid%3D100506%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

If you are on an original 6v system, you can use a 6v to 12v step up converter to drive the headlights, listed here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIGITEN-DC-6V-5-11V-to-12V-10A-Step-up-Converter-Regulat or-Waterproof-Boost-Powe-/162450673320?hash=item25d2d08ea8:g:74MAAOSwmgJY3XFr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

-Rod-
Looking at the site, I am curious if you know the 'lumens' those bulbs provide? Just being prudent and cautious. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

The web site says 270 lumens, but I was quite surprised after installing them in both my tail lights and headlights. They are actually brighter that the 12v conventional headlight bulbs I purchased from Langs. The key is to clean your reflectors. These LED's put off a 360 degree light and reflect perfectly with no dead spots as you get with incandescent bulbs.

If you purchase the two element type, you will need to run the headlights on high beam at night. The low setting works great for running lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

LED High Beam:

LED Low Beam:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Found a FAQ column about 'lumens vs candlepower'...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?145-how-many-lumens-do-car-he adlights-output
Rod, I understand about the reflectors and a necessary focus for our T's, but how well do your lights reach out to those 'deer in the headlights' situations? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

I use the same bulbs and setup as Rod. They work just fine, and are adequate for even totally dark roads.

These other bulbs are rated 6-24 volts AC or DC. They'd probably work off the magneto, though I think a better setup for mag-driven headlights would be a sealed lead-acid battery with John Regan's magneto charging circuit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

Please re-educate me about mounting/latching pins on the bulbs...
1156/1157 pins are staggered. Are the pins in our model T sockets staggered or straight across from each other?
I can't manage to get the rims off of my head lights right now to check and cannot find my spare light socket.
One image I found shows the 1142 with staggered pins also.
Would you fellas expound?
I'm quite excited to "perhaps" to be able use LED bulbs with a magneto system on my 18.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 06:38 am:

Duey, the pins are not staggered as far as I know. If the wrong fillament in a light shows, it can be corrected by removing the light socket and inserting it 180 degrees around.

Can the same be done with the LEDs in use?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 09:02 am:

After my recent exciting adventure with the so-called "magneto bulbs", I believe I'll try the 6-24 v LED's and see if they light any better than the 1142's I'm using now.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/753781.html

Allan is correct. 1142 pins are not staggered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

All interesting information. Looking forward to hearing how they may work in a magneto only car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration