Electrical Question - Is This Correct?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Electrical Question - Is This Correct?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Neal on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

Should I always have battery power at the generator terminal with the car off?

I've completely rewired the car, rebuilt the switch, replaced the generator, and installed a Fun Projects VR. I installed the 6V battery today and with switches off and key removed, I have battery power at the generator terminal. Is that correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Neal on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Best, fastest, most concise answer ever on the forum - thanks, Frank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 11:13 am:

You should have 6 volts at the cutout terminal where the wire is connected, but not at the terminal on the generator at the other side of the cutout. That is the purpose of the cutout to allow current from the generator to flow toward the battery, but cut off the battery from the generator when the generator is not running. either a cutout or a voltage regulator will cut off the battery from the generator when the engine is not running.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:26 am:

Frank, I'm afraid the correct answer is NO
There will be battery power at the front terminal of the cutout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:34 am:

True Tony but the way I interpret John's question was for the wire being live up to the cut out, other wise his question would have been.

When I turn the key off why is my generator and cut out smoking?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:59 am:

The key on or off has no effect on the generator wire. The cutout will disconnect the battery from the generator output terminal when the generator stops producing . The wire to the cutout is always hot and when the generator starts producing electricity it closes the cutout and the generator output flows to the battery. Help??? There is a good wiring diagram posted close to this post somewhere. As stated, the hot wire goes to the end of the cutout, not to the generator output terminal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 01:02 am:

Sorry about the repeat.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration