Generator cut-out burned.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Generator cut-out burned.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

Hi, attempting to fix my generator. I tested it by placing positive on the cut out bolt and the case to negative and the generator spun. The cut out switch is clearly burned at the terminal for the copper winding on the solenoid. See picture. Why would this happen and what if anything should I do about it? Buy a new cut out? Buy a Fun Projects voltage regulator?

Generator cut out switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

I really like my Fun Projects regulator. Might be a good way for you to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Everything gets old and needs replacement at some point. Cut-outs burn contacts and stick closed causing all kinds of problems. It just happens. Get the Fun Projects regulator if your generator is serviceable. Just set it and forget it. Money well spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

The generator could not produce enough current to burn that coil like that, my guess is that the battery caused caused the fire due to a breakdown in the coil insulation. What you have left can be converted to a diode cutout. Brad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

The generator could not produce enough current to burn that coil like that, my guess is that the battery caused caused the fire due to a breakdown in the coil insulation. What you have left can be converted to a diode culout. Brad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

Oh yes, it most certainly can! The generator will peg a 50A meter if the battery circuit is broken. Just a casual look at that cutout might indicate a stuck cutout left unchecked. Was the battery dead?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 10:30 am:

If the power came from the generator, I would expect the 16 gage power lead wire from the 3rd brush inside the generator would 'fry' before that heavier gage coil inside the cutout. Is the generator still functional? If it is, the pictured failure is from battery to ground short, imho. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

I put a new voltage regulator on. I think it works because the battery does not seem to need charging anymore after several runs. However, the ammeter needle isn't moving. I am not sure how to proceed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Depending on the quality and accuracy of the ammeter, you may not see the needle move.

Turn on the lights and look for a significant draw...then turn the lights off. You should see the needle momentarily go to 4-5 amps and then settle down to near zero.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 03:29 am:

That's exactly the same reason I bought a Fun Projects voltage regulator...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

You really should read up on the VR's operation. It's not something you just throw on and go driving forever after. The generator charge rate needs to be correctly adjusted. Instructions are readily available on the Funprojects website.

Garnet

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration