Coil box problem ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Coil box problem ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

The last time i parked the T it seemed to be running good .now getting ready for a car show so i decided to check the timing just incase someone wants to crank start it. i don't want any broken arms. i didn't get it set yet cuz 1 and 2 plugs would't spark so i cleaned the carbon out of the timer (TW timer) and that fixed that problem. BUT # 2 has a continues spark and won't stop even when i crank it through the rest of the firing order. thanks. Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

No 2 wire is shorting ether at the coil box or timer. Check the timer first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Thanks Mark! I just cleaned the timer again with brake cleaner and then rubbed 00 steel wool around the inside now it works good . not sure what the timer brush is made of but i think it had a carbon track. Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

Several place to check timer and wires at connections the coil box if all checks goo you could have a short in the wood of the coil box

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

Ken,

Mark was not suggesting that the problem was the timer. Your #2 wire is most likely shorted to ground somewhere. Check that out first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

Ken,
Check the pan bolt under the timer. The pan bolts should have the nut on the top, except for the bolt directly under the timer. If this bolt is too long, it can touch one of the timer terminals and short it out making a continuous spark on that cylinder.
Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

My continuous buzz was from the timer control rod touching a terminal screw. Something else to check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Thanks to all that replied. Don A, you hit the nail on the head, the front pan bolt was to long . # 2 wire was touching. this forum is great. i don't think i would have picked up on that problem none to soon. thanks again Ken

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration