Original Sales Receipt for 1919 Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Original Sales Receipt for 1919 Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

I visited a small Car show yesterday with a few other Model Ts at the Heritage Encinitas Museum here in San Diego County One of the participant was Rich Baumann who still lives on the property that was a subject to a Land Grant signed by Benjamin Harrison. The original certificate is in the Museum, I guess that's when Presidents actually did something rather than just pontificate to the press....
I digress. Well during the celebration, a lady stopped by and asked if Rich would like a receipt for a Model T made out to his Grandfather. The lady was clearing her attic and came across it. Rich knew his Grandfather had a Model T it was scrapped during the WWII scrap metal drives.
What a find..
I was a little surprised by the base price, the Encyclopedia list a Touring at $525. Could the difference be shipping charges? We are not sure if it had an electric starter.
Interesting is the spare wheel, he was charged for the rim, then the casing (tire?) and tube and finally for a spare wheel carrier.

If anyone needs a high resolution (10Mb), please contact me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

What a cool find. I would think for someone to have over $700 cash laying around to pay for the car in full must have been in pretty sound financial condition too. That was one late '19 also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

Hermann originally owned 160 acres and then added another 160 acre lot, so his family was working 320 acres within a couple of miles of the Pacific Ocean, with a very temperate climate. He had cows and raised cereal. His son, Richard's father liked chickens and for many years was the principle egg supplier to the stores in San Diego. They had a Studebaker wagon and the 35 mile trip to San Diego took most of a day. Normally eggs were taken to the local railway station and then shipped to town by rail. Richard still has the wagon and some of the egg containers. With the Model T, they could do the trip and the shopping all in one day. I suspect Hermann saved money over the horses and lodging in town by using the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Yes the base price was was $X at the factory, so if you went to the factory that's the price you payed. The higher cost was shipping added.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

I would love to have a sales receipt for my 1919 but unfortunately all I have is the original 1919 Mass registration and the vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

Go ahead I dare you! Just try to get out of a dealership today with 1(one) sheet of paper in your hand, even if you are paying cash. (BTW if you did pay cash for a car today the Fed's would be there questioning you about where the money came from and probably arrest for suspicion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Any dollar amount over $10,000.00 in cash sends up a red flag. I think a bank is even supposed to notify someone if you deposit that amount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

That is why all my deposits are $9,999.99

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

The $10,000 limit, over which are reported to the Feds. It was suppose to be fight the drug trade, personally I think they are just too damn inquisitive.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration