Rotating inside of rotating inside of rotating . . .

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rotating inside of rotating inside of rotating . . .
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

So I'm starting to assemble my steering and am going to need to source various tubes for rotating inside of each other due to the fact that I want to use a center mounted spark/gas quadrant. My brass steering tube and wheel have an ID of 15/16". Inside of that will be a fixed tube with an OD of 5/8". Inside of this is a rotating tube (gas) with an OD of 1/2". And finally the spark with an OD of 3/16".

It would be nice to be able to purchase these 4 tubes without requiring machining if anyone has any advice as to where to go and what to look for that may already be on the shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Eastwood on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

"Aircraft Spruce" in Corona CA. is an airplane industry parts supplier. They have steel 4130 tubing in many diameters. If you use .058" wall thickness the tubes will slip inside each other. They come in 1/8th inch increments. I'm sure you'll be able to make this work. If you feel you'd like a little more clearance, use .049 wall thickness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Sounds great for the inner 3, is there a name for this tubing that I might be able to find a little closer?

I should be able to find a thicker wall thickness for the actual steering (OD 15/16 ID greater than 5/8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 03:00 am:

1/2" pipe maybe the right size. About 3/4" OD

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration