OT I need valves for an Orphan car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT I need valves for an Orphan car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Do you guys know of any suppliers or custom shops who could set me up with valves for my 1928 Chandler straight 8?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dunn on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

I would start my search here:
https://egge.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

I would contact Al Suehring in Wisconsin. I know he recently bought out the supply of valves, timing gears, flywheel ring gears etc from Vintage Auto Parts in Denver, Co 715-570-0830 He has a large stock of those kinds of things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

Egge Machine should be able to supply valves for that engine. If not they certainly should have valve blanks that could be machined to size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 06:55 am:

Thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 09:19 am:

Dave:
I have used a universal parts catalog to locate "blanks" that were over length , often with stem diameters that were oversize that would allow re-machining keeper grooves or pin holes and allow reaming the existing guides to a larger diameter to avoid guide replacement ...select valves with the correct or slightly oversize head diameters and correct face angle ...same can often be done with pistons ...hope this helps ...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 09:25 am:

I would think that a 1928 Chandler is new enough that you could find a 1930s or 1940s interchange book that would tell what valves could be used. Egge probably has interchange information.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-28-29-Interchange-Parts-Chandler-Paige-Velie-Stutz- /120742082746

Also - did Chandler manufacture their own motors or did they use something off the shelf, like a Continental motor?

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on May 22, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 09:32 am:

Dave,

Go to a local NAPA Auto Parts. They have interchange books for engine parts. The back of the book has progressive sizes for valves and pistons. When new books would come each year, a friend who worked at NAPA would give us the old books. They have been very helpful. PM me and I can look up valves for you.

Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 11:09 am:

If you want an original part that you don't have to finish, there is a chance that Antique Auto Parts Cellar may have them as NOS or NORS:

http://www.then-now-auto.com/

The stainless Egge valve blanks are good, just know that they are work-hardening stainless. I had to slot some once and it was a chore. If you have to drill them, a cobalt drill bit makes the job a lot easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

Chandler did manufacture their own motors, but I have learned that they shared a common valve with Dodge Brothers. "Unfortunately", I have 2 Chandlers and did get my last set of valves, NOS, from Then and Now Automotive in Mass. He hasn't got any more. Custom is looking like my only alternative. Working on this bugger really makes me appreciate the designs Ford incorporated regarding servicabilty. Everything is just exponentially more difficult on it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration