Model A Shay. eBay item number:112409321322

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model A Shay. eBay item number:112409321322
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

Sorry, to place this on the Model T Forum but I found this Model A on line and the seller claims it's a Shay replicate. Looking at the photos, it has the original Model A engine and the dash is not configured like the Shay replica.

Can any Model A owners confirm my observations.

Thanks,

George
eBay item number:112409321322

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1929-Ford-Model-A-Shay-/112409321322?hash=item1a2c1e1f6a :g:7ZgAAOSwuLZYyw0U&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

Erik, thanks for the EBay listing. This is the car I was writing
About. It appears to be an original model A, not a Shay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:08 am:

It's a Shay with a transplanted Model A engine and transmission.

Notice the gas tank in the rumble seat compartment and dozens of other oddities.

Also - read the description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:09 am:

It looks to me like someone got a Shay body and put it on a real Model A chassis. I first saw this and thought some nut went to the trouble of putting a real Model A engine in a Shay but when you mentioned it I went back and noticed NO Shay front suspension and No Shay rack & pinion. Weren't Some Shay bodies left over when the company quit production?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:09 am:

It looks like someone took a fiberglass Shay body, put it on a genuine "A" chassis and came up with this mish-mash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:10 am:

what Howard said!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:14 am:

Weird Someone tried to turn an original Shay Replica of a Model A into A true A by replacing the Pinto engine that was original to the Shay with an A engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:20 am:

I looked at the photos again and it does look like a Model A front axle so it probably is a Model A chassis as others have said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:45 am:

You can buy a Model A fiberglass body. bottom line it is still not a Shay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay Couture on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:47 am:

George - I have owned various Model As for 40 years and currently own a stock 1929 roadster. This car is very unusual. The body is absolutely a Shay reproduction, it had all of the odd features - incorrect interior, top, lights, door handles and the bumps in the rear quarter panels. It appears that someone has taken the Shay body and mounted it on an original A chassis. I can see the original axles, drive train and steering column. It appears to also have mechanical brakes, I can't see any brake lines at the wheels.

Basically they created the Frankenstein monster of Model As. There are many good quality fiberglass (and steel) roadster bodies available, I don't know why someone would do this. I am also curious if is titled as a Shay (1980s) or an antique... That could be a factor for insurance as well.

Stock Shay cars have a limited market to begin with. Those buyers will stay away because of the antique drivetrain. Actual Model A buyers will stay away because of the quirks and inaccuracies of the Shay body and features.

Who knows, at that price they may be able to snag a victim. Lots of "collectors" out there.

Jay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 12:49 am:

Shay is the only body I've ever seen with the gas tank behind the seat so I still believe it is a body produced by Shay.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 01:53 am:

There used to be a company in Oregon that built reproduction A bodies out of fiberglass, roadsters and others. I saw one and if you didn't know it, it looked original. Yes, you'd have to put a real A gas tank in it, they didn't do the gas tank! This was some 30 years ago and I forget the name. Once upholstered it was really hard to spot, they even replicated the inner panels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 04:48 am:

A car built with parts which otherwise wouldn't be used. A parade-type fun car. A LOT of work has been done here. If not a originality stickler, you could have fun in this car. A real Model A with a replica body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 05:30 am:

I'm going to assume it was done at a time when the Roadsters were more expensive than a junky sedan and the guy who put it all together was named Dr. Frankenstein...

That really looks awful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 06:44 am:

That is one strange looking puppy. It has a Model A chassis and running gear, the wheels are 5 lug, the Shay had 4 lug. As others have stated, there are other issues that are dead give-aways. I think it is really strange that the body is 30/31 style but the cowl is 28/29 style. The rear deck is also very long and looks bad. The gas tank has been located in the cowl, you can see the fuel line coming out of the firewall.Frankenstein would be proud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 07:11 am:

The earliest Shays were five lugs and original Model A wheels. I knew a few guys who moonlighted at the plant. The wheel supply was one of their first problems.

The first Shays tried to resemble the original Fords. Then the compromises started. According to the guys I talked to, they were considering larger molded assemblies to simplify the fits. The front fenders, splash aprons and running boards were eventually going to be molded as one. I don't know if they ever got there.

The cover photo is actually flipped on their brochure and they did some air-brushing to make it look right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 07:33 am:

Too if only me the great part of a Model A is the sound and pulling power of the engine. Of course i think it was a move in the right direction but all that extra wireing needs to go and it will never rust out on the lower side of the cowl.My Wifes 29 town sedan is very heavy but low gear is seldom used! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 01:50 am:

You just got to love those fuses!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Shay body and other shay part why would anyone want it ?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration