I agree with Tom Carnegie!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I agree with Tom Carnegie!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

This past weekend I put about forty miles on my 1927 tudor sedan - thirty of which were to church and back; the other ten I took my 16 mo. son with me to a friend's house in Graham. This is my first real successful run with the Kingston Vaporizer and I am really pleased with the results. Tom told me that it was his favorite carburetor about a month ago and I would agree with him.

I bought this carburetor from Bill Bender several years ago for $25.00 and it needed a lot of work. It was warped, had several cracks and was missing several pieces, including the "air filter." My cousin made the air filter and rewelded the cracks and straightened it up last fall. Another friend rewelded the throttle and choke arms back in place. The choke plate wasn't sealing, so I made a new one.

I have never used an NH, so I cannot speak to those results; however, this carb set-up beats the Holley vaporizer hands down. The Kingston provides instant power and acceration, especially going up hills, and idles beautifully. Now that the choke plate is sealing off the air, it fires up almost immediately on a cold start. I live in the city, so most of my driving is around 35 mph and there are a lot of lights. Driving to church and to Graham, the speed limit is 40 mph and 45 mph, respectively. The car cruised coming out of Graham at 45 mph and the throttle was only 1/2 way down. The gas mileage beat the Holly by 3-5 mpg, averaging 15 mpg. I am curious if the gas mileage would improve if I cruised going 35 mph for about a ten mile stretch.

All in all, I am really pleased with this carb set up, especially since my car was produced in March of 1927, which aligns pretty easily when the Kingston was sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

Well, I ran one on a 27 roadster years ago. The problem I had was when the weather was hot and the car had run for a while, it started missing. Couldn't figure out what was happening until a friend said he had the same experience with a vaporizer. I live in Folsom and its gets hot here in the summer. In the cooler weather I didn't have a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Richard:

I haven't ran the Kingston in HOT weather; however, yesterday was in the mid-70s. The engine ran cool and I didn't have any problems with it missing - neither did I have any issues with the Holley Vaporizer in hot weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

I agreed with Tom Carnegie once. Maybe twice. Ok, a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 03:55 am:

Jim, Sounds like you had a Great Model T day!!!

Also sounds like you just installed an Etimer after telling about all the super performance. Glad to hear your car likes more than 30.

I always agree with Tom cept when he's telling me why his car did faster than mine on the 500!
Your in Good Hands buddy Have Fun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

Gene:

No E-timer in my car - just four coils that have been properly tuned. Yes, it was a great day. After ten years of slow, but steady restoration of the car, it give me a piece of mind to know that it is running about as good as a Model T can.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration