Question about the rare 25 SMALL Trans Brake drum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question about the rare 25 SMALL Trans Brake drum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

I have a couple NOS narrow brake drums with the removable lugs(Like a 26/27). The standard narrow driven plate will not fit these. Is there a special plate for these? What do you guys use? Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

There is a special driving plate for the 25 narrow brake drum. If you're darn careful you can elongate the holes of a standard driving plate and the fit will be tight and strong. I've done it both with a mill and by hand using a dremel with a carbide bit. The dremel is the way to go.
This method (elongation of the holes) was recommended in the Service Bulletins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Thanks Richard. That was what I was thinking about doing, glad to know it is an approved Ford method. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Dan, have you tried a later plate from a 26-7 brake drum?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 08:32 am:

Allan, the '26/'27 driving plate has a smaller diameter to fit inside the drum, while the 09-25 style narrow brake drum including this improved version offered as spares needs the driving plate as a part of the drum surface, thus it has to have a larger diameter than the '26/'27 version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Ford did offer a special driving plate for these drums, but I've only seen one or two, and they were not for sale. In addition I've been unable to locate a special part number for or on these.
Richard is correct on elongating some holes to fit, in fact if you read the correct 1926 or early 27 Ford service bulletin, it even tells you to do this. I've been doing this for years, even before I knew it was in the service bulletins. A wide drum can also be cut down two different ways to accomplish this. One is to make it exactly like one of Dans drums,with the lip, and secondly is to machine the drum to the same width that Dans drum would be with the driving plate on it. That way you could use the '26 driving plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Roger, I was thinking only of the pitch diameter of the six holes, and forgot the bit about the outside edge of the driven plate being part of the drum surface.

I have a 26-7 drum in my 25 roadster, narrowed down some, withe the 26-7 driven plate, as Larry suggested. That way, there is no problem with the interface between the drum and the driven plate edge. A new repro narrow drum has the lug shoe mounts but good luck finding a driven plate of sufficient diameter to mate to it without there being a step in the brake lining surface.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration