Hard cranking cold, easy when warm.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hard cranking cold, easy when warm.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

I've noticed when cranking over the Coupe first thing in the morning that it seems much tighter/harder to turn the crank. Once it's run for 5 or more minutes though the crank seems butter smooth and starts on an easy half pull. Normal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

Possibly caused by cold oil sticking the high clutch plates together. If you don't already, leave it in high gear (brake handle forward) when parking it for the night. This keeps the oil squeezed out from between the high clutch plates, making the engine easier to turn when the oil is cold the next morning. Set the emergency brake just prior to starting! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

Ah, now that makes sense! I couldn't figure it out myself. It starts with such an easy pull when warmed up that it just made no sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

If it is still too hard to crank when cold after leaving the brake lever forward just jack up a wheel. My cars start easily enough but with a bad back jacking up a rear wheel just takes that much more stress off my back and it just takes a minute. I use a tire saver jack that gets the wheel up off the ground in one push of the handle. Just be sure to block a front wheel.
I keep a tire saver jack in each of my cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

One type of tire saver jack:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

Mark that is exactly what I use. I keep my cars on them when I store them and keep one in each car for easy cold starting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Matthew

another thing to try is to first step on all the pedals pretty firmly for a short time. You're squeezing out the oil in the bands which when cold, ads greatly to stick-tion. It will be a little easier to crank and the first few critical "pops" of the engine will be fighting just that little bit less of drag. Five or so seconds of running and they'll be soaked again, but likely the engine will have "caught" sufficiently to keep going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 07:35 am:

I use 5w-30 and park with the lever in high and never have a problem cranking.

When I was young and dumb, Harley Davidson sold an SAE60 oil which I used in my panhead. It was expensive and the bike leaked a lot. No SAE60 to be found on the shelf of the local auto parts, but they did have some Kendall 70. Hey, if 60's good, 70 would be better right? Think of how much that would slow the oil leaks, and man was it cheaper than Harley oil, and I didn't have to drive as far to get it and ..........First cool morning, even though I was over 250 lbs, I could barely kick it over. Finally got that thing cranked and warmed up and immediately drained that crap and have used 20-50 ever since.

Some still swear by straight 30 non detergent in their T. I have to wonder how many of those guys are the same ones that say they have to jack a wheel to get their car started. Hey, to each his own. Takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration