What is this

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What is this
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

guys what is this on the floor of my 24 touring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Possibly what's left of an exhaust cutout actuation device?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Part of the original James Bond ejection module?
Sorry, never seen that before!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

I really thought the car was built with it what ever it is. It looks original

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

Does it rock back and forth with the foot ?? Thinking Henry P. nailed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

It would need to be turned 90 degrees to use it as a foot shifter for a Ruckstell... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Yes it does but it wasn't connected to the exhaust. Why would you want to cut out your exhaust...dont understand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

Momentary "noise".

Jericho horn, Aermore whistle - any number of noisemakers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

I can't quite tell from the angle but it looks like the battery cable holder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

Never mind. I see now that it's attached to a handle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

This in my opinion is the best exhaust cut out pedal and operates a little different from the locking type that is most usual. It requires a cut out that is spring loaded. Push pedal to on one side and the exhaust is open to the cut out and stays in that position because of a small spring. Push it on the other side and the cut out is closed and stays there because of the same spring. Had one on a twenty touring and took it off when I sold the car. Plan on putting it on my twelve hack. Dick C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

It is a snap on exhaust cut-out pedal. Sold new as a set with the cut out.....If you do not want I will buy it .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

It's made by Snap on tools Warren?
So it is to run some kind of whistle or horn then?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Lwk0AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA4-PA244&lpg=RA4-PA244&dq=sna p+on+exhaust+cut-out&source=bl&ots=puCAtDYq0u&sig=XuqPmJE80o7M3W_wACAOIN6bGc8&hl =en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQkZX6jIfUAhVCzFQKHfJMBsQQ6AEIYTAN#v=onepage&q=snap%20on%20e xhaust%20cut-out&f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

Ok Mark thank you but why would you need that? I feel like I'm the only one not getting this. Is it for more power, ie, less back pressure??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Doug, Some people like to make "noise" with the exhaust. the pedal operates a valve which directs the exhaust to a noise maker rather than thru the muffler.
Watch, and listen..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKBVkdDdiPE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Thanks Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Not made by the tool co. Just another accessory to let exhaust gasses out and relieve back pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Doug, I watched a neat, really old clip on youtube some years ago and a young fella was teaching his lady friend how to drive his 40's or 50's Chrysler (I think).
While going thru the motions with his lady friend, he explains that when he opens the exhaust cutout some, she can hear the "beat" of the engine to better know when to shift the manual transmission.
On my proper T, I think I'm going to take apart the muffler and just mount the front cast iron section of the muffler to the frame so I can hear it.
On my Crappy T, it has a cobbled together exhaust with a nice long piece of 2-1/2" drive shaft tube for an exhaust. I can hear that one!

I'm gonna step up on the Curmudgeon soap-box for a moment (I'm only 53!) and say I do not like the whistles, whoop whoop's (wolf whistles?) or the other kind of contrived noises emitted from a hundred year old engine. I like to hear the engine. But that's just me. I know others love that stuff. :-)
:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration