Should I remove the water pump?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Should I remove the water pump?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Well I know what Roce will say! Anyway, I'm noticing my 26 coupe rarely ever reaches the "optimum operating" temp on my Boyce midget motometer. Now the mercury could be off on it since it is original but I lean toward trusting it. It usually hovers maybe half way between that line and the bottom of the meter, sometimes less. I know T's like to operate around 160-180. Am I running the possibility here of running too cool, causing spark plug fouling and loss in performance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

I believe you may be. I'd take the water pump out and use for a paper weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

I think I may be as well. On the flip side of that though, it may be helpful when pulling the big hills out here. So far I find I rarely have to use low gear though, I can usually get up most of the hills in 2nd if I hit them at speed. I'm torn on removing it or keeping it on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

I think the first thing is to verify the temp. Get a non contact thermometer or a candy thermometer and measure the water temp. My T had a water pump on it when I got it and I took it off when it started leaking. I live in the desert and it gets very hot here but my car never boils over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

Here's the drill Matt. Plain and simple: If it ain't broke don't fix it. The car runs to your satisfaction and the motometer's accuracy is in question so why screw around? Yeah, I know the pump has a bad rep but I've had a car that had one that was installed by the former owner who paraded it. He claimed it cured his over heating problem. "Patch fix" for a possible poor radiator? Could be. I never found out because I never removed it. Car ran fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

I took one off my 26 rpu last summer and I never had a problem even on the high 90 degree days. The radiator is so old looking I am surprised. Sorta sold on the no pump idea. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

Simple yes yes yes unless you like a mess under the hood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

If you take off the water pump, be sure to remove the upper water outlet (2 bolts and the hose) and make sure there's not a thermostat in there. They were often installed at the same time as a pump, and the thermos barf system won't work properly with it in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

You can take it off and see if there are any heating problems running with out a water pump. If the car runs too hot with out a water pump.....put the pump back on the car and say nothing.

I happen to like running a water pump....have not experienced any spark plug problems with over 10yrs. use. I'm like running on the cool side vice having over heating problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 03:07 am:

oh oh, Les has some good advice... that's not the oh oh part....

The Montana 500 cars run with no pumps and No Fans not just on the driving runs but year round.

If your radiator is efficient and you are running the spark properly and generally moving you don't need any of them... Here in SoCal any way.

Like Les said it's easy to try it out. Sometimes we look for problems and watch the temp gauge too much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 07:46 am:

One reason not to run a fan and belt driven water pump - on some modern performance cars - is to gain horspower...it takes energy to turn a fan and drive a water pump, generator...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Try removing it. If it works o.k., then great, if not, put it back. Don't be swayed by the W.P.H.C., (Water Pump Haters Club), do what works for your car and enjoy the ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 09:22 am:

My T came with a water pump installed, and during local trips last fall the engine would run cool enough that I could put my fingers in the top tank of the radiator...too cool for my liking. I had to pull the radiator over the winter to replace the fender irons, and decided to pull off the outlet neck assuming a defective thermostat...well, there was no thermostat at all! I considered removing the pump completely (cost of inlet, hoses, and belt ~$50) vs. adding a t'stat (~$9), and the least expensive option won out. So far, so good; the engine warms up quickly now, and has not overheated yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Matthew,

If you need a water inlet to try your car without a water pump I'll give you one for free. Let me know via a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 11:42 am:

You will also need the water tube or longer hoses if your has the tube now. The tube used in conjunction with the water pump is shorter then stock in most cases.
Other thing you could do if running too cool is install a thermostat. I run and Atlas pump and because I had a 160 on the shelf and trying it. Too early to tell if it will work or if I need to go to a 180.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration