New guy question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New guy question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

27 T if I take the head bolts out one at a time to replace them do I need to drain the radiator so antifreeze doesn't come out of them or will it? I am not sure if they go through water jackets?? Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

Hi Tim.

The bolts themselves don't go through to a water jacket, but sometimes the threads in the block go through to the water jacket if block is rusted too much or someone has done a thread repair to the block and went a tad too deep.

In a perfect world, there should be no gusher.

However, not really advisable to do what you suggest. Sounds like you are dressing up the engine with new bolts? If I were to pull a bolt, I'd pull all bolts and chase the threads in the block with a bottoming tap, blow or vacuum out the crud and then very certainly check length of new bolts to the head to ensure that they do NOT bottom in the hole. That would be an instant stripped thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

Tim,

Scott gives good advice. If you're going to replace the bolts much better to clean out the holes while you're at it. I'd also have a fresh head gasket on hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 22, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

Tim, you may also find you cannot remove the two rear bolts with the head on. Best follow Scott's advice.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 03:12 am:

Tim, Did anyone ever tell you. "If it's NOT Broke Don't Fix It?"

Go drive your car and have fun..

PS Your car looks like a Montana 500 racer!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Tim,

Gene has a point. I would not mess with exchanging head bolts "just because". These blocks are old. Every time you remove/re-torque a head bolt you run the risk of breaking a bolt or stripping out a thread. Unless you have other issues, I'd let it go till the next time the head needs to come off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 10:10 am:

If you do like you said, and replace only one at a time, there should be no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Best not to remove one head bolt at a time. The gasket seal could be compromised, as it is important to tighten the head bolts in specific sequence, from center bolts to outer bolts.

Spend the time to remove the head, clean out carbon, inspect or replace gasket, tap clean each bolt hole, then place new bolts in sequence, with 40-50 ft/lb.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration