Installing brass window channel?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Installing brass window channel?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 10:49 am:

Because the upper windshield frame on this car is the wrong one, I took a correct replacement to a glass shop to have glass installed. The glass guy tells me he hasn't been able to figure out how to bend the brass channel to fit. Apparently I'll have to do it myself. I have an idea of how to approach the job, but I'd like to get some suggestions from folks who have done it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

I haven't had to do it myself, but it seems to me the crux of the matter is to constrain the side walls of the channel from moving in or out as you make the bend.

Some kind of plywood sandwich, cut to the desired bend radius, with a slot to match the contour of the channel comes to mind, like this:

You only need to make one bend sandwich, just do one bend at a time while being careful to get the distance between bends right to match your glass. You might have to over-bend a bit to account for spring-back. Be sure to maintain tension on the channel as you pull it around the bend.

Leave the ends of the channel long and let the glass shop cut them to fit. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

You probably should anneal the area of the brass channel before bending around the form.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

and also anneal it several times during the process. Brass will work-harden very quickly during a forming job like this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 01:20 am:

Mine came pre-bent, I think I got it from Langs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration