FJ - Warning about using PayPal gift to pay for a vehicle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FJ - Warning about using PayPal gift to pay for a vehicle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 11:36 am:

A guy in Michigan hired me to haul a vehicle from Leadville, Colorado that he found on Craigslist for sale.

This is NOT a thread to express your feelings about Craigslist.

He sent a $2000 deposit via PayPal gift.

He was not able to contact the Seller so he contacted me to try & reach him.

I called the Seller & left a voicemail this morning.

He called me back to say he was selling the vehicle locally today.

The Buyer has had no contact with the Seller since he sent the Paypal gift deposit a couple days ago.

I texted the Buyer - let him know what is going on - he contacted PayPal - he cannot get a refund because he sent it as a gift.

So - if you are purchasing from someone you do not know or trust - be forewarned.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 11:51 am:

Thanks for the warning.

No wonder there is so much violence in the world...most always a "rotten apple" in the barrel that ruins a good thing for everyone else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

I know if someone cheated me out of 2 grand there's apt to be violence.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

The Seller was a real piece of work on the phone.

Personally I think he is selling the vehicle at least twice - or trying to anyway ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 03:08 pm:

I assume Colorado has an Attorney General. He/she might be interested in hearing about the guy. Maybe the Feds would as well, since it was an interstate transaction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Dick,

I advised the Buyer to do that - also to find out the physical address where the Seller lives - then find out what jurisdiction that falls under ( city or town police or county sheriff ).

Then file a criminal theft report - $2000 may qualify it as a lower class felony.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

But then you have the problem of his using the PayPal gift option.
Was it a gift which is legal or collusion which is illegal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

This just seems like page one from the book of watching your own back; Don't blindly send a stranger more money than you're willing to lose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

The first thing that makes me hesitant is using the term 'gift'. There are more folks out there who will rip you off more than ever in this age of electronic devices. A slick lawyer would say it was free money when it was sent as a gift. Just don't sound right to begin with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

John,

I agree - the Buyer did it in good faith - I advised him there was probably no recourse thru PayPal if you send money as a " gift ".

If you agree to sell a vehicle to someone over a distance & you take a deposit in accordance with the terms of sale - you should complete the transaction.

About a year ago I replied to a Model T Touring for sale here in the Classifieds & also on Craigslist in Phoenix - spoke with the Seller - was at the post office mailing full payment per his request ...

He called and said his wife had sold the car without his knowledge ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

I would like to know if the seller "requested" the buyer to send payment as a "gift" and told him to do that instead just a regular PalPal standard payment option. If he did then it is my belief that the seller was setting the buyer up for a scam because he knew that as a "gift" PayPal can't intervene or won't intervene.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

Good point

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

It may fall under the category of Fraud, even with the "Gift" aspect. Money was rendered for a good/service, which was not delivered. See, this is why I am so wary when it comes to thee matters. I was very fortunate with the gentleman I bought my 26 Coupe from a few weeks ago. He was a cash only kind of guy, but he also didn't want to take a down payment. We shook hands, agreed at Rhinebeck that the car was sold to me, and that we'd square up and handle the paperwork when the car got dropped off in a few days time. Which we did: I withdrew the money, cash, paid the man after we'd unloaded the coupe into the yard, and we wrote out the bill of sale and handed the other papers over. Done deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

I gotta shut up now. Started to say some things but drifted into a rant about "justice".
Erased.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Don't try to avoid the fees by sneaking money as a "gift" and then expect to be protected. Read the rules and play by them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

James,

That is the lesson to be learned if you want to pay for purchases with PayPal.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

I often request a PayPal "friends & family" payment because PayPal doesn't take 3% (+/-) from it. I have a long-time business with a decent reputation, however.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

OK - "Gift" can be used to avoid PayPal fees and tax and/or border duty obligations when it is really intended as payment for a product or services. Less than ethical in my warped opinion although I've seen them used and have paid for a two small items that way. Then again I knew of the person I was dealing with at the time. A "gift" to anyone would probably be viewed as a true gift by PayPal as it should and I would expect no recourse (or sympathy) from them when I got scammed. Bringing the issue to local law enforcement or other authorities might find a less than sympathetic ear too when they determine the intent of the "gift" was to avoid a legal obligation. $2000 is a mighty expensive lesson but probably just that.

Does that mean the scammer is anything other than a dirt bag? Certainly not, he/she is still scum and this time they get away with it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration