Does anyone know what this is?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Does anyone know what this is?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

I was told it is a pressure relief valve off a very early large brass era car
any ideas? Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

I'd say it goes in the lower petcock hole of a Model T. Swing open the little door to see if the oil level is up or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

Yet another device to increase gas mileage?

Screws into the intake manifold. Open door to let in more air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Maybe it never got a patent...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

I'm thinking Jerry might be correct. I don't think that spring would hold much pressure. If say it goes in the place of the lower peacock. The outlet is about right for the upper level. The patent pen would be located in the correct place as well. MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Actuated with a rod like the choke to the running board. I hit send too soon. MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

I agree with Erik. Two of my Model T and both K have threaded valves in the intake manifold to allow more air. The cars all ran better with the valve open. Unfortunately the K are both almost impossible to start with the valve open. Dean Yoder and I have considered something like this to control it from the drivers seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 09:16 am:

It is very stiff to move the arm and no not stuck then the shield opens, kind of cool part but still trying to figure it out, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 10:58 am:

I would guess it is some kind of device to lean the mixture. I dunno.

ALL carburetion is a compromise. You have to have a flow through an opening small enough to vaporize the fuel at cranking speeds with a mixture rich enough to burn under pressure. Then you have to have a mixture correct for all running conditions including acceleration and full power. In the early days of carbs there were a lot of devices to lean the mixture after the engine was running that were designed to save fuel.

Later designs used multiple venturi to try to address those issues -- think single barrel, two barrel, four barrel, etc., as well as all sorts of air bleeds and internal passages to try to provide the correct mixture at all speeds. That was the impetus for the development of fuel injection.

The wick in a puddle type of carb on the Model T from the factory begged for a device to adjust the mixture beyond the main adjustment needle. Opening an air bleed not only leaned the mixture but in effect opened the venturi size for more flow at running speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 11:28 am:

I'm willing to "buy" the air bleed theory, except there would be no reason for it to be goose-necked as it is for that application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

I'm going with Robert. How about a compression release actuated from the dash or in front of the car since most did not have starters, to ease in cranking. Then close for running. Turned with the Pat Pending upright the hole is facing down so junk does not get in when open. Any brass guys out there to jump in? Just a WAG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

Due to the actuation of the valve plate, I doubt it was designed to hold pressure. It might however hold vacuum. It could screw into an intake manifold and be opened to lean out the mixture as engine speed increases. If installed as to read PAT PENDG, then gas would not collect at the valve for a leak. Or it is a control modulator for a flux capacitor on the early hydrogen fuel cell Wankel engine. That is a real WAG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

I'm still betting on the gas mileage crowd OR the racers. Why the offset? I'm puzzled.
Rob, you actually tried starting an engine with the valve open?
A fellow in North Western MN has an old T racer and he used a similarish valve at speed to let more air in.
For an oil level checker, I would think that it'd be far more caked in 100 years of oily gunk as it would leak a bit all the time...
Hell, it's a cold weather primer for the Ford that would have a wire out thru the rad to open and close the shutter. ?
Shoot. A backfire burp might come out there instead of the carb and start a fire...
Interesting gizmo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

I just want it in my manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

I'll bet 50 drachma on the chariot with the blades on the wheels! :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

The plate is .031 thick and it takes a good amount to open would have to have a good rod set up, still think pressure relief but for what? Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

I would think that the plate is only a dust cover and that the actual "shutting off" is taking place where the "plug" goes through the body of the valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

Hal,

That's an excellent observation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Yep: Just like any other brass twist valve. Good show Hal!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration