Beware of this unexpected road hazard

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Beware of this unexpected road hazard
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

I was in town for groceries, and came out of the market to find gas dripping from the roadster. One of the running board cans was leaking.

I found a tiny piece of gravel, less than ", under the can. Apparently the little stone was thrown up by the wheels, worked its way underneath, and wore a hole in the can. After I repair the hole, I think maybe I should glue inner tube cushions on the bottoms of all the cans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Sounds like a plan, glad your runabout is back on the road!

So, Steve, did the tire shop use their brute force hydraulic machine to mount your tire, or did they do it manually with some super-spiffy procedure that we all need to learn about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

Yes,We all would like to know?Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

That little pebble is no road hazard...THIS is a road hazard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

I didn't see the work done. I left the tire and picked it up later. But I doubt that a Model T wheel would fit the modern machine. My guess is that two or three guys did it by hand with long irons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

Nice pedicure, Steve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

In regards to mounting T tires using a modern tire machine;
The answer is YES. A couple of months ago I visited a friend with a tire machine and 5 T wire wheels. I folded up shop rags to pad the gripping jaws to avoid marking my nice powder coated wheels. That worked great. The machine had plenty of adjustment to use the over top arm to run on the tire. I then installed the tube and used the machine to finish installing the tire. I then balanced them.
I'm confident that installing detachable clincher rim 30x3-1/2 would be just as easy.
In a few weeks I'm going to try installing some non detachable clinchers and will post some pictures of all of this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

It will be interesting to see if the machine can handle the nondemounbtable clinchers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Les, I do motorcycle work also. I've got a Coats 220 manual machine that can handle up to 21 inch wheels. Can't get a clincher in it though. Some of the new powered machines might be able to do a clincher, but I'm not sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 02:02 am:

The machine I used is "powered". I think the jaw expansion limit will be the deciding factor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 07:01 am:

Let's hope that is a manicure.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration