Timing cover question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Timing cover question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oneal Lee on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

What is the purpose of this bolt in the cover?
Neal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

Oneal, that's to adjust the tension of the fan belt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Oneal: It is for the adjusting of the fan belt tension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

Neol,I see by your profile, you have a 26 T so I can see the why on your question, a 26/7 doesn't have that type of belt adjuster on the cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

However, everything before '26 models did have that tensioner bolt clear back to 1910. Which brings up the cover you showed a picture of. It is a pre-generator front cover. Based upon the shape of the oil filler, from 1915 through 1918, and some non-generator option cars into 1920. Tensioner bolt or not, this cover will not fit a 1926 car without the non-generator side cover for the timing gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 12:04 am:

My 1926 runabout has the same cover with the bolt adjuster in it. I wondered the same thing until I discovered from photos that this was a belt tensioner for earlier models.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oneal Lee on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 12:40 am:

Thanks for replying. The picture is not mine. I couldn't load my own photo. The bolt is missing in mine. Just wondering why. Ya'll are the only ones I can ask being no one I know owns a T. Thanks again. Neal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Early '26 production still had the boss on the timing cover - and on my first day production engine (July 27, 1925) it's drilled and threaded just like '25 and earlier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Here's the little casting to block off the generator when using that cover.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration