All brass carbs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: All brass carbs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe macintosh on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 12:17 am:

Have a few brass carbs. Can someone help identify them for me and also what parts are available as I hope tope make one good one for my 26 roadster.
the floats are in good condition and mount in the bowl.Should be able to get one good one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 12:30 am:

Hi Joe,

Your carbs appear to be early Kingston L, with the fuel inlet into the bowl. These were a 1915 carburettor. The carb on the left looks to have the float "tickler" which, when depressed, pushes the float down and allows fuel to fill the bowl thus giving a richer mixture to assist in starting the engine. Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 02:57 am:

Yep, they're L's, the chief problem with both the L and the L-2 is that the floats are coated cork...the coating usually cracks over the years and then they don't usually float too well (they get soggy)...the improved Kingston, the L-4 has a brass float. Unless you've got a 1915 and want something that is original, ditch them...the L-4 is far superior to these.

Also you could use a Holley G...those were used in 1915 and I think their floats are brass also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 03:28 am:

Those are desirable to someone with a brass era T. But if you have a '26, you don't want to use them. The later Kingstons and Holley NHs are better carbs. Easier to fix, better performance, and more correct for any T of the 1920s.
Best thing, for you and those carburetors, is to find someone to trade them to for a couple nice later ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 07:19 am:

Joe... I have a beautifully rebuilt black painted STEEl, Holley G that is more in line with your setup. If you'd like, I'll trade you my rebuilt unit for the brass 1915 Kingston cores. I have a 1915 Touring so I'm always interested in 1915 parts for it. In any event, I can send you some pictures of it later this evening when I get off work if you are interested. The carburetor was glass beaded and painted. I lapped the intake flange surface so it was flat as well as the bowl surfaces. It has a newly machined spray nozzle, lapped needle and seat, and a new machined venturi. Let me know if this is of interest to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 07:20 am:

One more thing about the rebuilt carburetor I described, it also has a modern composite float installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Here is a picture of the carburetor I will trade for the two cores...g1g2g3g4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe macintosh on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 09:47 am:

James sent you an email

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration