Rear Axle Thrust washer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear Axle Thrust washer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 01:50 am:

Just dropped the back axle out of the '26 , owing to some unhealthy noises last Sunday.
There's nothing remotely resembling a thrust washer in there between the plates, just a heap of granules in the housing.
I got this pair of brass ones amongst some stuff and thought it might get me out of trouble while I wait for parts to come to build up a new diff.( Takes a few weeks to get the gear in from USA) I've not seen thrust washers that look like these, with the holes like the thrust plates, but the diameters are right . The thickness is the only thing I'm unsure of,they measure 3/16 inch .Can any one confirm that as being the right thickness for the thrust washers? If they are right I will take them to the machine shop and get them to mill in oil grooves just like the old babbit ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 04:30 am:

Tony, you will have to 'adjust' the thickness of new thrust washers anyway, so using these is no different. A recent post showed the thickness of new ones. Yours do not seem much different.

If you want parts quicker at any time, Henry's T and A parts in Ballan, Victoria, have good stocks of most stuff and they are only a day away by post. Keith is a most helpful fellow.

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 05:14 am:

Thanks Alan.. I am familiar with Keith and have purchased from him on a number of occasions. I will be checking out his stock when I'm looking at my total rebuild... the exchange rate is a killer at the moment., and not being a "Twiggy Forest" I have to look at the most economical options available. I just want to try to get the old girl on the road for a function next weekend and I have plenty of used "spares" in the shed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 11:55 am:

Re; Twiggy Forest;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Forrest

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard ( Australia) on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Mark, The reference to Twiggy was made with the greatest of respect, and I apologise to the US readers who may never have heard of him. Last week the he presented a gift of $400 million to various charitable organisations , including a substantial amount for cancer research. A true philanthropist, and regarded over here as a "fair dinkum bloke", who practises what he preaches.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration