Bat. - Mag. difference

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bat. - Mag. difference
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 10:05 am:

Switching to Mag. at an idle, a slight increase in RPM has always been noticeable, but it seems much more obvious of late. Could this be an indication of the level of charge in the battery ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 10:09 am:

It could, and that might show that your generator isn't working. Of course, you'd notice a difference in the cranking speed as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 10:29 am:

I should have noted it's a '13, no starter or generator. I'm wondering when the 12v lawnmower battery I've been neglecting will fail - then MY cranking speed will have to go up !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Rich,

The answer to your question is in this paper!

http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/Model%20T%20Ignition%20System-Final%20Artiticle.p df

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 10:34 am:

Thanks Dan !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 10:39 am:

It would depend on the position of the timing lever. You will notice that when you move the lever on battery, the engine speeds up a little with each notch on the quadrant, but when you move it while on magneto, it won't increase with each notch but move it a few notches and then suddenly it will speed up. Another thing about the magneto is that it puts out higher voltage as the engine speeds up, so if your engine is going faster when you make the switch you will notice more change. Just don't make that switch under power, or you might blow the muffler or manifold gasket!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Norm, my observation was made at idle with spark retarded. Switching to Mag. she picks up a few revs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

Rich
The discussion of this subject is a different paper.
More on Model T Spark Timing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Thanks Ron

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration