Starter removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Starter removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 11:31 am:

I need to remove my starter. I have no magneto ring in the car. Is it possible to remove the starter without removing the Bendix cap.Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 11:34 am:

I think the flywheel is just as big in diameter as the magneto ring, so I'd say, yes, you should still remove the bendix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 07:25 am:

There is no way to remove the starter without removing the bendix first...take a look at this drawing and you'll see the ghosted flywheel, ring gear and coil ring inside the hogs head...there is absolutely no room to slip the starter with bendix past those...besides, you'll probably chip off the insulation from the coil ring if you try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Magyor-Northwestern, Pa. on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Here is a photo taken of my 1919 engine that might help too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 10:11 am:

"I have no magneto ring in the car"

(Message edited by redmodelt on May 25, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 06:14 am:

Do you have magnets? Without the coil ring, you may just get it past even though...but it'll a bit difficult.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 11:54 am:

You may be able but I don't think the Bendix will clear the starter ring gear, I don't have magnets or a mag ring in my 26 coupe and I still need to pull the Bendix.

Rick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration