Considering a P Head, seeking info

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Considering a P Head, seeking info
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Noted a marked improvement in power by properly re-gapping the Champion X spark plugs last night. The very hilly area in which I live still concerns me somewhat though. I know my 26 coupe has thus far handled most of the hills in 2nd, but some of the very, very long and steep ones require low gear. My other concern is steep hills that I approach from a turn. That is to say, turning onto a hill at almost 90 degrees, requiring a slow down. For hill climbing reasons I am considering investing in a P head. What can you tell em about them? My biggest concern with them is causing undue wear on the crankshaft, causing a snap. I know my 26 Coupe will have the heavier duty crank though. Any thoughts on the matter? I still intend to drive normal T cruising speeds of 35mph on the flats, just looking for more oomph on the hills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

My 26 coupe hated hills until I installed a high compression head. The Prus head looks to be a good head. It has been discussed that the actual compression is around 6:1. Shouldn't give a problem unless you lug it around.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

The Prus like the Z gives around 5:1 compression compared to std 3.8:1. The combustion chambers are a little better shaped in the Prus, giving it a couple of more HP than the Z in top end.

The crank may break any day anyway, even if the engine is left totally standard, so why worry - most important is to not linger on rpms the engine doesn't "like" - with an ear always listening and feeling how the Ford runs, you'll notice where it runs best with least vibration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

I have two Prus heads. Good quality and you do notice pulling hills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

Sounds like positive views of the Prus head thus far! This motor's really nice which is why I was concerned about crank snapping. The guy who redid it poured all new babbit for the rods and mains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 12:28 am:

Is the "P" aluminum? Are they available?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 12:51 am:

I see that Langs is currently only offering the aluminum ones. I hear there is an iron one but didn't see it on Langs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 05:51 am:

I've only seen the cast iron version sold directly from mr Prus. When available, it's usually $500 compared to $400 for the otherwise identical alu version.

But if you always use antifreeze, there shouldn't be any problems with aluminum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 07:08 am:

I had completely rebuilt engine with a Z-head on it. Thought I would try a Prus head and throw the Z-head on my spare engine. The engine ran smoother with the Prus head and gave me a little better fuel economy and performance. Mine is an aluminum head. Kevin Prus is great to deal with. If you need specific info, just call or email him. as with any high compression head, I would make sure my bottom end was in good shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 08:12 am:

I have one of Kevin's cast iron heads and love it. Had to go directly to him to get it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration