Iowa to Alaska in a Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Iowa to Alaska in a Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Scott McNamara on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

June 1 is fast approaching. There was some interest expressed in our trip to Alaska in an earlier post so I thought I would update you all on our progress. We have a Facebook page you can access...Iowa to Alaska in a Model T. It shows our route and daily itinerary plus some stuff about us and our T's. We will be making near daily blogs on our progress. Any last minute suggestions are welcome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 10:35 pm:

https://www.facebook.com/Iowa-to-Alaska-in-a-Model-T-1846053488966386/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 03:18 am:

If this is as fun to follow along with as the Lincoln Highway trip was I'm really excited.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Scott McNamara on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 08:08 am:

For those not on Facebook, here is another webpage you can access. https://lhkilmer.wixsite.com/iowatoalaska

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 10:25 am:

The Fox Creek to Dawson is a fairly long leg. I know Dawson is the "official start" of the Alaska highway. Quite a bit of 2 lane and I would expect a lot of trucks. I've driven 3 round trips a few years ago. You are definitely doing it at the best time of year. LOTS and LOTS of daylight!!! Quite a few hotels along the way between the town. Any way, best of luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 11:55 am:

The Alaska Highway is on my bucket list.

Success & Safe Travels!

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

In Canada the police will like you to drive on shoulder given the speeds I suspect you will do pulling a trailer (especially in the hills you will encounter on the Alaska highway). Also the bears will be hungry and the canvas sides won't provide a lot of protection. Realize you can't bring a gun with you. Just some thoughts, which I'm sure you have considered

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

I see you are bypassing Calgary (where the Foothills T club has about 100 members). Another bit of information

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

I see you have decided not to go through Ohio on your trip from Iowa to Alaska...Is that because I live there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

Les, I thought the same. There is certainly a large group of Model T support there in your area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

Brian
There is a old bridge about half way between Dawson Creek and Fort St John that was part of the original construction. It is now bypassed but is still available for you to drive over. A really unique piece of construction

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Scott McNamara on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Les, thanks for the heads up about the bridge. I was aware of its history and we will plan to cross it either coming or going (or both). Its on the list!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

I hope your T and trailer use the same size tires and i would take at least two tire/tube spares?? If you have food and water there are many places just to pull off the road and camp free!Extra fuel is a must!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Scott McNamara on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Bud...yes we are both taking 2 extra mounted spares that will fit both our vehicles and the trailer. One of our challenges has been how to carry the extra gas we will need. We have settled on taking two 5 gal gas cans between us. Is this enough?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Brian,Not when you hit Canadian prices!! I'm not sure if it will be enough so is the extra 10 for one car? I think i would also carry a extra set of bands?? I think some of the 13% grads are still there!We went in 2006 but i was never brave enough to do it in a Model T! Good on ya!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

Some of the roadhouses/lodges on the Alcan between Fort Nelson & Whitehorse are small operations that are opened or closed on a whim; once while I was living in the Yukon (2007-14)the only place open on the 350 mile stretch from Ft. Nelson to Watson Lake was the big lodge at Muncho Lake. Toad River is generally open too, as well as Contact Creek, which sells fuel at discounted prices so get customers travelling in both directions. Between Watson Lake and Whitehorse (~300 miles) you can reliably find services at Rancheria and Teslin, and maybe Jake's Corner; west of Whitehorse is about the same: service areas not quite often enough. So carry as much fuel as you can allow space for. Don't leave Alberta with empty cans, as fuel prices in BC are quite high. Take a tow strap too, in case you have to pour all your fuel in one vehicle and pull the other one in to the pumps...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 03:38 am:

There is a model T parts supplier just west of Edmonton at Stoney Plain called George Moir

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration