Mother Lode Swap Meet

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Mother Lode Swap Meet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Been unable to get our swap meet in Auburn, Ca on the web calendar so here is the flyer.

swap flyer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

HOMEMADE PIES!

I'll send you my address so you can mail me one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

SHHHHHH! Not so LOUD!! There won't be any pie left for ME!!
Now don't tell anyone, but this is one of the best west coast meets for T stuff. One of my T friends thinks we should get our "surplus" stuff together and have a space.
Hmm, that's a lot of work, and every time I get rid of "surplus" stuff, then I need it in short order. . . . Of course this is the pack-rat corollary to Murphy's Law: The length of time you need something after you have rid yourself of it, is inversely related to the length of time you have hung onto it.
Pack-Rat??? MEEEE???? Hoarding???? MEEEEE????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Within a ten hour or better drive from Sacramento this is THE BEST swap meet for Model T and Pre-War Stuff left other then the Horseless Carriage Swap meet in Bakersfield. I am Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you there. I will be wearing a MTFCA Forum name badge as usual.

Me at our space at the 2015 Auburn Swap Meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

Here's what I found to bring home at last years Auburn swap meet in between watching my sellers space and checking other sellers stuff out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

Geeze now i got go on saturday get my slice of pie
As unlike last year need cup of pie (mountainman pie)
Best little swap see you all in a week and few days
Nv bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

Did someone say ......

HOMEMADE PIE ?????

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 11:51 pm:

I would come but I only eat pie by the fire whilst partaking of a libation to aid in the cleaning of my gun(s) ......

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 12:04 am:

I will be there with my bud Capt'n Bob Streiter. We plan on being there early and stayin' late

I'm still in need for a brass steering column and a Livingston vee radiator. Have money will buy!!

Even if I don't find anything I will be at the front of the pie line!!!!!!!!!!!!

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 12:06 am:

Exactly FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

I am looking forward to meeting other forum members at the meet.I will be wearing this name tag as usual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 12:57 am:

I will be looking to meet forum folks there. Also will be returning some tools generously loaned to me by Erik Barrett and pick up a coil tuned up by Roger Barrett.

If you see me, say hello! Rusty is not running well on his backup coil so I'm not sure he will be there, but look around for him just in case!

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

Rumble seat garage. Erik. And I (Robert) will be blowing out stuff left over from the Ron Brown sr estate Cheap cheap $ 1 and $5 items Its stuff everybody needs and lots of fenders Yard art etc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Robear W got some Stella so party on buddy
We talk deals the.
Cheers beers until sunrise them pies and lies

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 12:53 am:

Bob, you going to the meet? Maybe we'll see each other!
I'll be the guy hoarding the Lemon Meringue pies!
David Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

DD dont touch my pie either the eaten kind or the dtinken kind
Rolling into auburn saturday night see you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 11:03 am:

My pie you see not, young Jedi!
May the Farce be with you!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

Just got back. Linda & I got the last two pieces of Lemon Meringue pie at 9:30 am! Not as many vendors, and I think buyers were a bit down. However LOTS of good T parts abounding, although I only came back with a few rim lugs for my DB, a cowl top for my '16, and a neat folding down running board luggage rack. Weather was perfect. One surprise: Although parking was free, buyers had to pay a $5 entrance fee. Would have been nice if someone had posted about that here ahead of time.
Saw Jay, Bob M. Terry H. Eri c& Rodger B. and more folks than I can remember. My friend Casey found a '16 muffler, complete that looks better than the pieces I have. Saw some Very Nice C cab doors, and a pretty nice 23-25 Turtle deck, but I resisted buying them. Also noticed a nice early turtle deck.
Meet pretty much broke up about noon, and the club ran out of donuts, hotdogs, hamburgers and even some soda flavors.
Another great T club meet. Unfortunately the club that puts on the fall Auburn meet has decided to give it up; the fairgrounds is making it just too expensive apparently. So this is probably my only meet for the year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

True there should have been a warning here abut the gate fee. We print the flyers in January but don't sign the final contracts until May 1. Costs keep going up. We ordered the same amount of food items as last year when we had stuff left over. There must have been more hungry people this year. Next year, 2018, Has a big conflict. The Redwood Empire Model T Club has scheduled the 2018 National Tour in the Napa area to start on the same day as our swap meet, June 3. So now, do we try to move our date either earlier in May and chance a rain out or later in June when its hotter? Moving the date may not even be possible as the fairgrounds is in use almost every week end during the spring and summer months. For several years now we have tried to stay a week ahead of the Santa Clara Endurance Run. Not sure what they are doing next year. We will be having discussions on this in the following weeks. How many of you would still come, especially vendors, if we keep the date and not go on the national tour? Or go to the tour a day late?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

Didn't seem much T stuff worth the drive but there were a lot of antiques for sale. I wound up with an art deco vertical ash tray, the type you saw at the movie theaters in the 50s and an 30s wood wheelchair with all the bells and whistles for the era.
I did find a 1913-15 horn tube with fittings and some NOS Scandinavia linings with the stencils.
Surprised to see Kim there, and he and Jay were great to talk to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 12:41 am:

I scored a full set of E and J restored brass headlamps, side lamps and a excellent tail lamp. These will look very nice on my 1911 Fronty Speesdster

Also picked up a chev/t block adapter plate for a 1928 2 port head conversion, and a pair of perfect 26/27 front spindles.

A very large slide of black berry pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait until next year, this is a great meet and thanks to the crew and staff and those special ladies that dished out the pie.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 01:32 am:

John,
I would go to your swap meet over the tour. Considering the long-standing date for your swap meet, I think the Redwood Empire should schedule their tour on a different date. It's almost an insult to your club to schedule that the same date! Shame too, as Napa's not THAT far a distance. Oh well, Napa's over-rated and over-priced anyways!
BTW, was talking with some of the food folks; it's hard to figure out how much to have, need more some years and less others, about all you can do is figure out the average and use that to determine quantities. HOWEVER; MORE Lemon Meringue pies!Linda & I got the last two pieces and that was at 9:30 am!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 01:54 am:

Another Mother Lode swap meet is a wrap. We had a good day, the weather was perfect, and all of us enjoyed seeing our fellow hobbyists. It would have been good to be able to put the buyer's admission fee into the flyer and on the website, but the decision was made after the printing was done. The buyer's gate fee I expect will make this year's event a good one for us and keep it going for a while. Two swap meets in this area are not going to be held anymore, due to lack of support from club members and rising expenses. To my knowledge there was one person who turned around and went home when advised of the $5 buyer's fee. We can live with that. We are trying to keep this event going and appreciate all who came today. The gate staff said there was a whole bunch of stuff being hauled out by happy new owners. Partner Bob Weitzel and I got to chat with Brass Car Guy, Kim Dobbins and others were there too. We had a lot of lookers at my SR Fronty engine and Layden Butler gave me some education about it. A great day for sure. There may be a date change for next year due to scheduling conflicts as John outlined above. Thanks once again to everyone who came today, as well as all of our club members who make this event happen.
Erik Barrett. President Mother Lode Model T Club

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Had a great time at the meet, it's a 400 mile drive for me, but it's a great location and the club does a great job. Here are pictures of the stuff I bought. Looking forward to next year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 12:52 am:

What a great even although $5 fee was added still got some deals and saw old friend told some stories and made afew new friends as well
Silver state Ts (NV) booth did ok selling off some donated parts.
Got my slice of peach and got one of last apple slices as well.
Will be back next year
Thank motherlode club for another great even

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 05:59 am:

Just FYI Most, if not all, swapmeets here have a gate/ entry fee. The cheapest would be $5 and some $10 and up to $15. Most seem to charge sellers too from $10 for a spot incl one person and up to $40. High fees for sellers is probably detrimental to such events but some organisers cannot see that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Ivan,
Yes nowadays many meets charge the buyers, but this is a relatively recent development. Not, in most cases caused by greed on the part of the organizers, but needed revenue to cover the higher fees charged by the property management folks and the high cost of insurance, an unfortunate requirement in today's litigious society. In the case of this swap meet, we used to pay a parking fee, but the fairgrounds said "NO!" so the gate fee helps recover that loss of income. I just think that someone should have posted the news here, after all, many members of the club post here. A little advance warning would have been most welcome--even a nice sign on the entry table apologizing for the change would have been a nice touch.
But, enough of that, it was a great meet, I missed a lot of stuff, too busy visiting folks!! (and eating pie. . . )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Nelson on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

John Saylor!!! Your information on the 2018 National tour is completely incorrect. People will be arriving for the tour on June 3 but the actual tours do not begin until MONDAY JUNE 4. Plus the tour is not in the Napa area but beautiful SONOMA county. The tour name is Redwood Trees to Pacific Seas. None of that in Napa. The Auburn Swap meet should not be affected. I hope this clears up things for you shoot first and ask questions later folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 05:41 pm:

Steve
Thanks for the update.Good to know there are no evening activities on Sunday But The members of the Auburn Club do not get finished cleaning up until late Sunday evening. We have to return and store away our own equipment. Many members sell also and have to take their parts home. Most of us are up at 3 am Sunday and don't get to relax until about 5 pm that same day. I don't think we would be up to loading up our cars and making the 2 1/2 drive to Rohnert Park the same day. Most that attend will probably want to arrive on Monday. Will That be possible?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Krezman on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

test

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Krezman on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

As Chairperson of the Mother Lode Model T Swap Meet, a huge Thank You to the Vendors and Customers who have supported us for the last 43 years. This year we where, due to rising costs of renting the fairgrounds and parking lot, insuring the venue and maintenance we had to put in place a gate fee. My apologies for not having this info on the flyers, as you know they are printed early in the year before final costs are in place. As a club we are dedicated to putting on this Swap Meet to benefit the hobby. Hope to see all of you next year and enjoy a piece of Homemade Pie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

Gary, I did miss this year. Iam sorry as you put on a great swap meet. I have hauled home many treasures from Auburn. Iam happy to pay a fee to help offset cost. If you quit because I dont want to pay a small fee where will I go for my goodies.
Thank you and everyone who helps put on your great meet. Scott Owens

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

I thought it was a great meet, and so was the pie. My only real complaint about the admission fee (besides the added expense) is that no one mentioned it here on the forum where quite a few us were posting about the meet. It would have taken all of 3 minutes to do so! Yes, the flyers are printed up way ahead of time, and the fairgrounds unfairly upped the ante on the club, but there are many other ways to get the word out!
So, looking forward to next year!!
Hey, wild idea, entry fee gets you a free water! You just hand out one of those "Keep this coupon" tickets as folks come in; they can go to the food booth at their leisure and get a water (and while standing there, many will like buy something else too!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

I didn't know about the 5.00 gate fee until I reached the meet Sunday morning. I just got out the 5.00, paid the man and walked in. I accept the clubs reason for not putting the fee notice on the flyer, and have no issue with the fee. Being in business myself, I understand the cost pressures of doing business in California. I'm grateful to the club, and the countless hours the members put in put the meet on. The last thing I'd do is complain about the fee or the way it was handled. Cudos to you all for a great meet!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Five bucks admission and free parking? I'd say that's the cheapest recreation I've seen in a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 12:13 pm:

I think we all agree it was (and will be) a good deal--it was just the surprise change that was bothersome. BTW, incredible timing, looks like rain this weekend (raining here now). I dunno if this is "Global Warming" at work or what, though it's keeping the fire danger away for now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

I'm with a Kim-$5!! cmon- a piece of pie was $4 and I tried to get a discount and the lady said no, so I just sucked it up and paid- BUT, I did ask her to pick out the best slice of berry pie she had- and she did!!!

Thanks all for a great swap meet- again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

Problem not the fee price but keeping hush about it
Until you get to the gate.
Our club had a booth actually we had 7 spaces between our membership.
Guy at gate asked for a fiver i whipped it out and another guy said oh he is a seller i gave my $5 anyway. Felt it was right thing
Thanks Motherlode group great swap once again
Looking forward to next years meet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Gotta say after being there for Saturday afternoon and most of Sunday I heard no one grousing about the $5.00 buyer fee. These guys and gals that put this fantastic event on deserve to be congratulated for their hard work ad efforts on our behalf, not chastised for the necessity of a gate fee for buyers.

Lets face it, you don't put an event of this size without the hours of volunteer work. If the $5 bucks is too rich for your pocketbook perhaps this is the wrong hobby for you. I purchased a "stall" for $25.00 and was most happy to "donate" the money to keep this event going.

Some of the swap meets up in our area are now charging up words of $80 for a 2 day meet. The average seems to be $50.00. So $25 seems quite reasonable as does the $5.00 for buyers. We have been paying $5.00 for swap meet buyers for a number of years here in the Seattle area and no one complaints, its the cost of participating in our hobby.

As for the pie, it was outstanding, and well worth the price. The reason they sold out was it was tasty and the word got out quickly and there was a "pie rush" to get their piece.

I will come back next year and expect that the costs will go up so be it. It was get fun to find a few of those "needed bits" at prices that were affordable. As I drove into my drive way at home I clocked 1796 miles door to door, and bottom line well worth the effort.

Thanks again to the guys and gals that made it all fun and enjoyable, see ya next year.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

Well, I heard lots of "grousing" BUT, as I said before and others mentioned here, but no one seems to read and remember--it wasn't the $5 fee itself, it was the lack of prior warning. I think we all understand that the Fairgrounds "pulled a fast one" on the club and they had to compensate somehow for it. Their solution was fine, but they should have tried to get the word out. YEP, them pies wuz GOOD.
BTW, everything costs more in the Seattle area--I have relatives there, been there, done that, even like the place (for a country boy to say he likes a city is going some)--but it's too expensive for me!
One good thing about an entrance fee (20 years ago it would have been unheard of, but then so would a lot of things that happen nowadays), it keeps out "rif-raf" including SOME homeless types that seem to wander into any big event looking for an opportunity.
And YES, we'll see you next year!! Heck, I'm even considering joining the club--although I don't know, any club that would have me. . . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 05:18 pm:

This gate fee thing has been going on for many years now. I think it was over thirty years ago that Turlock started charging buyers entrance. Now, THERE was an uproar. Threats of boycott. End of the hobby. But after a few years. people got over it and the meet just continued to grow. I quit going to Turlock because it became mostly modern stuff, and wasn't worth the two hours to get to a parking space from the freeway. (If you knew the back roads, one could sneak around about five or ten miles and slink in to find free parking.)
Fair grounds are generally owned by an arm of a public entity, and were supposed to be used for the public good, providing venues for various events of public interest. But like most things to do with anything run by the government, they became much more corrupt. Some very good friends of a very good friend made a career out of producing and promoting shows, usually on various fairgrounds. They never got rich doing so, however made a very good living for a long time. But, boy, the stories he could tell, even thirty years ago, about the back-room shenanigans he had to deal with.
I feel for the clubs and club people that have to deal with such things, in part because I have seen what they have to deal with.
Thank you Mother Load Model T Club!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration