Running board/Fender bolts. Also a Luggage Rack

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Running board/Fender bolts. Also a Luggage Rack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

While sorting through running boards today I found this fold down luggage rack. It has a heavier mounting than the clamp on ones. Now which car to put it on.

I also noticed the difference in the bolts that hold the fender to the running boards. I'm sure we have discussed this before but the earlier one I have with 1/4" bolts have some funny notched flat washers. One bolt had a washer on each side of the fender. Could these be factory?
Also there were 2 head diameters on the 5/16" bolts. .655 and .667. The 5/16" bolts were on boards that had the board to splash apron bolts with square nuts. Surely Ford used the bolts available at times. there is probably a lot more to this than I had assumed. FWIW
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

I mentioned I was sorting running boards. I used to look for the best ones for projects. Now my "less than perfect T's" can use the worst ones and give me some fun and practice straightening them. This one is almost good enough to mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

That is one Big Ass C-Clamp !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

Richard, if your having trouble with which car to put it on mine is available!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Thanks for the offer Dallas. If I can't free it up I may send it to you. I think I'll put it in the burn barrel and cook it with some twigs and branches. It is very rusty and won't fit in a container for penetrant.
Steve, That clamp and the I-beam have come in handy several times.
At least I won't feel bad about drilling the 8 holes for the carbide generator in this tired old running board. :-)
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Csorba (Australia) on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

I have a very similar collapsible rack (although for the RHS).
Rather than drilling the NOS running board to mount, I put a full length timber under the running board, with captive nuts recessed into it and attached the rack with short bolts.

Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vieux Carre on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 12:21 am:

I feel sorry for those sawmules that have the bear the weight of that I-beam.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 12:32 am:

Richard, what you have is one of these.

I consider them the Rolls of luggage racks. I love the way they stow so unobtrusively.

This one is on my 28 Tudor.

When it is opened up, it can be set to the width of the load to be carried.

Here it is fully opened.

A molassestank may be the easiest way to free it up.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 08:28 am:

Thanks for the info Allen. I will look forward to freeing it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:16 am:

I'm interested to know which were common on running board hardware ...square or hex nuts on the carriage bolts? Same thing with firewall brackets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 11:10 am:

The vendors show 1/4" with square nuts to fenders 1909 to 1916 and 5/16" with hex nuts 1917 to 1925.
I think the 1/4" holes continued for some time beyond 1916. I have seen many running boards with the smaller holes and shorter bolts with no spacer blocks. My search hasn't showed previous discussions on this. R V Anderson was making proper bolts for the early and maybe the late. He might know more on this.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 11:18 am:

The 1/4" running board to fender bolts were used a little later than '16. I believe it's around 1920, that they switched to 5/16". The ones in your photos look like the later 5/16" style. If you are interested in the early 1/4" style, R.V. Anderson makes a perfect reproduction.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration