Cuaght in the rain

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Cuaght in the rain
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

I have said it before, but I hope to drive our '21 Touring very soon. We will be riding topless for a while. I am concerned about getting caught out in the rain. Not so much worried about me getting wet. I get wet then dry again every day. But the new seats in the Touring do worry me. Seems like they would be ruined if the cotton gets soaked. I imagine if they got really saturated the covers could be removed to dry but it would not be good to be removing and reinstalling the covers. What do you all do if your seats get soaked, besides quish a lot on the drive home?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

I have a tarp under the seat just in case. Only got rained on once while at fire station. Worked well. Driving in the rain is a different story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

The seats in my Touring are leather or vinyl and I don't have side curtains but I do have a roof so I do get a little wet when it rains. I would suggest you precut some plastic sheeting to fit you front and rear seats and carry it with you under the seat. When it starts to rain just pull over and cover the seats with the plastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

The seats are pretty resilient...you'd be surprised at how little they'd be affected. First off, the cover is water proof and second on the seat back the fabric is pulled over the tack rail or strip and nailed on the outside of the car and on the inside of the car it's nailed to the bottom of the seat box. The cushion is pulled over the springs and crimped to the bottom channel (or hog ringed) of the springs...so how is water going to get to the cotton? You may get a little spotting on the vinyl but if you let it just air dry, but if you mop it up as soon as you get home, should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it that much...back in the day these cars got wet a lot and the vinyl seat material of today beats the hell out Ford's version of the stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Good advice from all. But...Dennis...dear Dennis, you sure missed a good opportunity for your wonderful wit about Tommy riding topless for a while! I'll say no more! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

Tommy
I would be more interested in keeping your coilbox dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

And your parakeet !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

An so far nobody here suggested that Tommy should wear sunscreen, as he can get a pretty painful sunburn riding topless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

Wow I've been out gunned in this post. I'll just take my parakeet and go to the pub and drown my sorrows! A good excuse for going to the pub

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

Drown your sparrows ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 06:42 am:

If caught in the rain, be sure to dry off as much as possible upon returning to your garage..... take the seat bottom cushions out, wipe everything dry as possible & use fans to circulate the air to dry , If not, mold can grow especially in the cushion area.... don't ask how I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 07:39 am:

Motorcycles or open cars; "If you drive long enough you will find a rainstorm.....If you continue to drive after that you will eventually find another one!" If I get wet as soon as I get home I take an electric leaf blower and blow off the big stuff then dry the details works gud fer me!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration