FJ - I have seen the future and it looks promising ... :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FJ - I have seen the future and it looks promising ... :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 07:38 am:

This comment was just posted a few minutes ago on another thread by a young man who is just 17 years old:

" By Skyler Kimball on Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

The Model T hobby is not necessarily heading in a completely bad direction.

I am 17 years old, and I will keep working on Model T's my entire life. I hope to do restoration on my car by the end of the summer, so I may share my enjoyment of the hobby to others.

At my high school, we must create a "senior project" where we must do something to help the community. For mine, I am going to share my knowledge of Model T's to an Elementary school and show them what life was really like back over 100 years ago, and hope they all become fascinated like I am.

I always believe that another generation of Model T enthusiasts are on the way. Besides, there are no more original owners left, so the hobby must have been picked up once by a younger generation, and probably will again.

I always thought the best dream job would be create a Model T dealership, or even make Model T parts, but life always permits. "

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 07:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 07:50 am:

Bill,

I will be coming from Maryland to Maine.

Would like to buy you lunch or dinner if you will give me another ride in your T or your Metz (if it is running) ....

Freighter JIm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 08:26 am:

Look at the constant stream of "newbe's". I See more young people involved in T's than any other "brand".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 08:42 am:

I'm sure there are many bright young folks out there that will get model T's if they don't already have them. It is nice to hear from this one.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:04 am:

Freighter Jim,
When and where will you be in Maine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:12 am:

After all the insane crap that's been going on the last few days, it's nice to hear this young man's thoughts! Way to go Skyler!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:20 am:

T's have a cheap enough entry cost that a young guy CAN afford to play.

I bought my first one when I was 17 in 1999.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Hi Will,

Hopefully end of next week.

I meander in my travels a lot ...

I might stay a few days in Monson ..

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:30 am:

What I find admirable - here is a high school guy willing to share his enthusiasm with elementary school kids - it just doesn't get any better than that ......

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skyler Kimball on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:33 am:

WOW!

Thank you all for such encouraging feedback.

The amazing thing about the hobby is how cheaply it can be to get the car... to fix it and make it roadworthy... a whole different story!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skyler Kimball on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 10:00 am:

Although my Model T may nice in it's original patina, I have decided to paint and reupholster it. I believe the elementary students should see my car for what it should be, not what time, wether and age did to deteriorate it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Skyler, This is just my opinion, but I think that what you show is a fine example of what time has done to this automobile. First of all, it is 101 years old, it is the real Mc Coy, if it could tell its stories of American history, wars, depression, feasts and forgotten, and yet still be here today for those children to touch, I don't think you need to feel bad about how it looks, any person with money can buy something that appears better than when it left the factory. I'll bet that those people who have a 100 point car, probably don't realize that this weekend is for remembering those other people who died to give them the opportunities to have such nice cars...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Skyler,

I agree with Wes.

You can always paint it - reupholster it - modify it over time ...

But it will only look like this once - and I agree it shows it's age very well.

You are an inspiration - keep posting !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 11:15 am:

Skyler, Way to go!!! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skyler Kimball on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 11:43 am:

Thank you all!

Unfortunately the Maine weather is harsh on the car, and the car sweats a lot, creating a lot of red rust all over the car. I do not have a completely enclosed garage to keep the car.
I do have the chicken house though! If I painted the car now, i would not have to worry about future rust problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Skyler,

Bill Harper lives in Keene, NH ......

Maybe he has some suggestions to protect the existing patina ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

I don't blame you for wanting to make it look like new. It is beautiful the way it is so take plenty of pictures before.
Make it the way you can enjoy it the most.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

Skyler, your dream job might be with Chaffin's garage! Way cool car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

Skyler, Your barn needs doors, make them and keep the weather off your car... Think of the lessons that could be learned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

Hey Jim, is there someone in Monson that I need to meet. I live in Belchertown, just about 10 miles away. Not many "T" s around this area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

Tom,

Several years ago I dropped off just outside of Monson.

As I drove through town I passed Spring Creek BBQ.

Needless to say I found my way back up there and became instant friends with Mike and Chris.

I spent a few days and have been looking for a reason to come back again, perhaps I will get to do that on this trip.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Kramer on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

This post just made my day! Thanks Jim for reposting this about Skyler and his T.....
So cool when we hear about our young people doing what they can to help keep our passion for T's going!
You rock, Skyler!
I always say that it's the T's that bring us together but it's the people who keep us coming back together to have fun with them! Would love to meet Skyler if he is ever in the Richmond, IN area!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

Skyler, perhaps scout out this thread.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/507662.html?1420510894
It might buy you some time to coat the steel, prevent any further deterioration and it looks kinda cool too.
The '24 shown in my profile lives outdoors and I really should coat it with something. It's "au naturel" right now.
Minnesota is also very brutal to anything outside.

Cool thing about a rusty car is you can wash it with a scrub brush and the garden hose! Who cares about water spots!
Love that touring of yours!
FJ, thanks for bringing Skyler back up the radar!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

I'm 48....not a youngster...but not a senior.

I had my 24 Touring out in the driveway last weekend and it seems half the kids in my neighborhood stopped to look at it, sit in it, honk the horn and make car noises while they turned the steering wheel.

A few of them were older teenagers who asked a ton of questions about Model T's in general, how much they cost, how hard they are to work on, where you get parts, etc.

This never happens when my other old cars sit in the driveway. There's something different about Model T's....something that makes me think they'll never go out of style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

Don, you and I are the same age. Drove the RPU to town for supper tonight. Everyone coming in and going out went to look at the T. A lady walked out in front of my wife and I and she headed straight to the T. A few questions were asked and then she asked if I was going to restore it. I told her its not in my plan at this time. She said that a car like that is so approachable. You dont feel bad trying to look inside or getting too close. I couldnt hear what people were saying while I was inside but their smiles and finger pointing said it all. Skyler, I wish I had started with Ts when I was younger like you.

Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jerry knouse on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Tom, I think Jim is referring to Monson,Maine and you are thinking Monson,Mass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:47 am:

Jerry,

Monson, Maine ... :-)

Spring Creek BBQ @ http://www.springcreekbar-b-qmaine.com/

It is Mike & Kim (not Chris) that own it ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:23 am:

>>>I have decided to paint and reupholster it...<<<

Hi Skyler - I think your restoration budget should include a nice car cover. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a little sea salt in the air in Waterford.

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on May 27, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skyler Kimball on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

Thank you all for your helpful info!

It would be nice to keep it looking the way it looks now, but many family believe its better for the car to have a coat of paint over it, not only for preservation, but the idea that I will never have to worry about many cosmetic problems in the future.

My great grandfather owned a 1915 Model T, and had found it in an auto storage garage, beneath a skyscraper, in perfect original condition. He took it home and restored it, and sold it sometime in the 1970s.

I guess I always had brass-era blood in me!

Great idea Jessie concerning a car cover... but for me, its about hour and a half drive to anywhere near salt water!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 11:38 pm:

Skyker, your car is perfect like it is. Make it mechanically safe and reliable and enjoy it. I'm turning 24 in July and got my 26 coupe when I was 15. Me and my stepfather Gary have restored three Ts and enjoyed it every step of the way. I'm sure there are many more people around our age who are fascinated with Ts that we just don't know about. I think it's great that you are trying to get more young people interested.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 12:20 am:

Sorry for spelling your name wrong. I'm still trying to get used to my new phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

Stephen,

His name is " Sky Pilot " .....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Skyler,

I sent you an email & a PM.

I am dropping off Tuesday in Waterford, Maine.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

Skyler: This may sound strange -----but could you put a coat of flat clear finish on the body? At least the rust wont run and you will protect the patina the way it is!
Just my humble thoughts.

By using a flat clear it wont look shinny like other finishes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

Waterford Me is inland so salt air is not an issue. He might have to watch out for snow that blows off Mt Washington. :-)

I would wipe the body with WD-40. It has a low viscosity so it soaks into the rust and leaves a film that protects the vehicle from further rusting. The Feds did a study on protecting military equipment in humid environments and found that WD-40 worked better than the expensive stuff.

As for a barn door... A plastic tarp (Kentucky front door) should help keep the snow and rain out. It would be best to get a silver one because blue would look funny on a grey barn - unless it is used on the roof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

Another idea regarding protecting the current patina would be boiled linseed oil.
We VW guys use it to protect our rust. You can even spray it with a paint gun.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration