Please Remember

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Please Remember
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:21 am:

Please take time this weekend to remember the service men and women who gave all so we can enjoy our Model T's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Amen

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Absolutely. Flag half-mast until noon on Monday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 11:34 am:

I have lowered my flag this morning. I then stood back and silently thanked those that gave so much for so many. They were the greatest generation.

I have had the honor to respect and reflect with those that died on many battle fields in Europe, and at the punch bowl in Hawaii. I have stood in silence at every cemetery from the second world war that I was honored to visit.

I did not know anyone resting there but I could not help but shed tears in their honor. It is interesting to note that most of the World War 2 cemeteries in Europe that very land where these heroes rest in have been deeded to the US and they are US territory. An American flag flies proudly respecting those brave solders. In some small part they are "home" on US soil. Let us never forget.

respectfully,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

And Amen Again..picturesNever Forget

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rKsW6c_CgFY?feature=player_detailpage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR87LsmXzBs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Hi, Just lost my Uncle 2 days ago. Served as the navigator on a B17. Shot down behind enemy lines. Was in a prisoner camp for 3.5 years
Mario Waldo Delre Jr. 97 years old. Scott Owens

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Remembering fellow K9 Handler, Steve Faust.

Killed by the New People's Army, 30 years ago this October.

Fellow member of the NightHawks, Clark Air Base, Philippines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

btt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 12:45 am:

PFC Joe C. Regan MIA October 17, 1944 finally found and brought home in Spring of 1951. He was in New York City on my 1st birthday in September of 1944. I received a card from him that my mother kept for me. He died in the Hurtgen Forest in Germany which was a dark and bloody place that is rarely talked about on any movie news reels or history books. That is because we lost over 30,000 of our finest young men there. My dad first reported to his unit which was the 60th Infantry Company L on October 5th the night before a big offensive. It is unlikely that he knew anybody around him since he was a replacement. He was a farm kid like a lot of his family. My mom said he could fix anything and was quickly chosen as the farm store manager at Sears Roebuck in Springfield IL. I took the job and reported the same afternoon for work. I suspect that is why I am an engineer since I carry his genes. I would trade every Model T I own just to have a memory of one hug from him or to know what his voice sounded like. The one thing I like about getting old is that it draws me nearer to the time when I can finally get to meet him. Memorial days are tough for me.

See you soon dad.PFC Joe C. Regan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:22 am:

Bless you John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:54 am:

John, I have to agree with Don. Bless you and your dad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Remembering...
http://puttinguptheflag.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Every year out in my front yard for Memorial Day holiday I put two wooden crosses with helmets on them with boots and American flags in front of the crosses.

My special American flag flies all weekend long on holidays as well as my POW/MIA flag. Dad was a POW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

My vision blurs every time I watch this.

http://worriersanonymous.org/Share/Mansions.htm

Ditto from Don above!! Bless U John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

We have to remember those who gave it all. My family has a long history of service to our country is. Thanks to all who made us free. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

John, you've got his smile. God bless you and your dad. They are not forgotten!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

I saw a sign that said....

IF YOU CAN READ THIS,
THANK A TEACHER.

BECAUSE IT'S IN ENGLISH
THANK A SOLDIER!!

Amen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ydWhRObVxrM

God bless the USA!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Well I guess I can put in my 25 cents worth~! I went into the Army Sept 10, 1953 just near the end of the Korean Conflict. I was at Ft Leonard Wood for Basic training, then to Ft Belvoir for heavy equipment repair school, then to Germany. Lucky enough to meet a wonderful 23 year old girl that became my wife by the end of 1956, I needed to get her in marriage as a tax deduction.
We have go 61 years coming up in December. People will ask when were you married, ad I answer "PAYDAy", as the pace I worked I was paid on the 1st and the 15th.so we planned on the 15th od December. We did not have a pot to pee in but now we have several pots, can't pee! Enough said
A salute to the Fallen comrades!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

Forgot to mention the unit I was in--

587th Field Maint Engineers

We worked on , Tractors, Graders, Wheel tractors small engines, BBBBBBIIIIGG engines-Murphy Diesel's, Cranes.

The shop was at Hanau, Germany

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 08:14 am:

John,

Thank you for your Dad's service, as well as your Mom's and your sacrifice. "All gave some and some gave ALL."

May God continue to bless you and your family,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 12:30 am:

One more time. Thank's for your service to those who served!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 12:50 am:

My daughter found this yesterday in the bottom of a box of items my grandmother had saved. My mother passed the box on to my daughter who gave it me yesterday. It makes this Memorial Day more special to me as it now joins Uncle Bob's coffin flag. The bracelet was returned with him from France where he served and died in June 1944.

Thank you all veterans! TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:24 am:

I find it sad to think that my brother and I are the only veterans left from my Dads side of the family.

At one time there was my Dad from WW2 who passed in the last day of December, 1999.

My Uncle Wesley who served in the Marines in Korea at someplace called Pork Chop Hill. He crawled across the bodies of his friends day after day to take that God foresaken hill only to lose it the next night so they had to crawl up it the next day. It went on for days and he continued to fight a personal battle with that damn hill for the rest of his life.

My oldest cousin that put 16 active years in and 17 years in the reserves. He spent 2 tours in Vietnam and passed about 7 years ago at 70 years of age. I can't forget the tears we shed during the salute at his funeral.

Another cousin that put 4 years into the Marines and spent three of them in Vietnam. He brought home 3 Purple Hearts. He passed about 4 years ago and a week later his brother though not a veteran passed.

And, my brother and I are both Vietnam combat veterans. My brother was in the Marines in Vietnam and was awarded the Purple Heart for wounds sustained on May 16, 1967.

And then there's me. I spent a full year in Vietnam and came home with a scrambled mind, a blood borne disease, and a system full of defoliants.

I'm very proud of my families heritage and willingness to serve. I miss those that have passed before me and pray sometime in the future we'll all be together again.

Also, thank you to all my Model T military veteran friends. It's because of you that we still have our constitution and the freedoms we enjoy.

Over the years I've attended several funerals where there's been an honor guard and a presentation of our flag to so many veterans wives. I received my Dads flag and it's in a display case at my house.

When I hear of the desecration of our flag by people as a part of their demonstrations against our government, I feel an emotion that is impossible to describe. But then, I have to quietly remember that we all went to war so they have the freedom to make their voices heard and treat our flag so horribly. Like it or not, it's their right as described by the Constitution.

God bless America.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 04:41 am:

As a vet raised in a family of vets I say ''SALUTE'' to those who will remain FOREVER YOUNG. May they have the coldest beer in heaven....and I pray the unseeing half of our citizens have their eyes opened to the SACRIFICES made for all of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 08:12 am:

We had a memorial service yesterday in Utica NY for my 95 year young dad who passed away in March. He saw lots of action in WW2 as skipper of the LCT 685. They went under their own power from the New Hebrides to Japan, at 5-6 knots. He was at Biak, Leyte Gulf, Subic Bay/Manila, Okinawa when the war ended, and at the initial landings in Japan! Later recalled for the Korean War as well. He liked Model T's as well, restoring a 1919 center door sedan in the mid fifties, and he kept my grandfathers 25 coupe, which I still have. At age 90, he finished a 26 depot hack that I also have!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 08:29 am:

First Memorial Day without Dad. Every year as long as I can remember we attended Memorial Day Services at our small town cemetery. Dad and my uncles and older cousins were always in the Honor Guard, often making up the majority of the detail. This year, there will be three of us.

I shot this video at sunset last night after placing a few flowers on Dad's monument. They were grown on the farm he was born on and spent his life at, minis a few years in the early 1940's.

Have a peaceful and enjoyable Memorial Day.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4h104o3ryyeroo/Video%20May%2028%2C%2011%2019%2017%20PM.mov?dl=0

(Message edited by Rob on May 29, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 08:58 am:

My older uncles didn't talk about the war much. One uncle was a paratrooper who told me some of his comrades were shot dead before they hit the ground. Another talked of repairing planes and hoping he didn't miss anything before he sent it back up. They had dark stories that they said no on should hear and we kids never heard them.

Dad and my other uncles were drafted into Korea. They all came home and they're all gone now. For them, my 48 star flag is flying today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Sebaugh in Jackson, Missouri on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:19 am:

We should all remember and do our part. I will be playing my trumpet in the Memorial Day service this morning and playing Taps at the end of the service.

If you want to know more about Taps, here is the best website.

http://tapsbugler.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 11:44 am:

I'm sure several of you here remember Warren Miller. He died Feb 24, 2017, just six days after his 96th birthday.

He was a squad leader of a machine gun squad in Europe. He finished the war and went on to be a guard at the Nuremberg Trials after the war. Most of this is pretty common knowledge. What most folks didn't know was the he was still waking up at night fighting the war.

He didn't talk about it much or even directly. I knew he had some bad dreams, but didn't know the extent of them until his wife told me. So, those of you that are having problems now can be assured that it isn't something new. WW2 Vets had the same problem.

I knew, as did Warren, his days were numbered. I tried to get him to talk about the war. He would sometimes, but the discussions always ended up talking Model T's. I knew he would take most of it his grave - and he did. Most of the Vets do. Sad, but understandable.

RIP all you Vets of the past, and Thanks to those still living.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

btt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max L. Christenson on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Remember that 06/14/2017 is Flag Day. So, fly your U.S. flag on 06/14/2017. For that matter, we are supposed to fly the U.S. flag each day during National Flag Week, 06/11/2017-06/17/2017 (this year), which is something I forgot to do until today, 06/13/2017, when I saw on my calendar that tomorrow, 06/14/2017, is Flag Day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 06:06 am:

I have just now been able to read this thread and watch the videos, all were very emotional for me. As most of you know, we lost our oldest daughter on Wednesday before Memorial Day. I am Vietnam Vet and she was always proud of my service as a doorgunner and crewchief on Ch47 Chinook helicopters. She was cremated and I had a Chinook hatpin buried with her remains. Just a small tribute to her respect and pride for me. Memorial Day has always been very special for us, now, even more so. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:05 am:

David, God Bless you, and may your daughter rest in peace. Max, I pretty much fly my flag 24/7 except when it's really honking out here in the sticks, which is often. That's why unfortunately today I can't fly it, as the strong winds this past Monday cut the halyard at the top of the pole. Sigh. I'll have it back up soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Fred,In the civil War it was called soldier's heart. In the Great War they called it shell shock. Today it's known as PTSD. It's been around for as long as humans have had wars.

Yes, there are a lot of vets who never talk about their war experiences. I don't remember any of my uncles who were in WWI and WWII telling war stories. I'll blather about my army adventures, but like most vets I never saw combat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 07:51 am:

Some will tell you that the more some talk about it, the less they probably really did. My Dad and I were both Army veterans, but neither of us saw combat. I guess you could say we fought the Cold War. My grandfather was a WWII Navy vet and would answer questions, but didn't bring it up. He and five of his six brothers served in WWII. One was killed in France. My son is an Iraq and Afghanistan Marine veteran and doesn't talk about it. When he came home from Afghanistan, he told us he would tell us once what had happened to him there and then didn't want to talk about it anymore. He told us of a particular ordeal that was downright terrifying. He has never brought it up again, and I'm not asking. My wife's uncle was an Army D-Day veteran. Didn't talk about it much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 08:23 am:

I would like to take this time and try to explain some feelings. Being a combat veteran there are stories, YES.. (enough said)

Many people always ask why some Vets don't talk about their experiences?

To talk about them, is to remember them and to a degree, to relive them. But you if you can understand there are some things in life you really don't want to remember. Yes, you do remember, but if you don't talk about or relive them, it is easier to keep them locked deep in the back of your mind and away from your life of today.

Some here may understand and some may not. I was just trying to explain in my own feeble way.

Now that I have amassed many years of life, I felt I could say something about this thread.

Respectfully, Steve H.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 09:58 am:

I never understood the wars until Late in life trying to learn with lots more information with a computer and different historians information.

My oldest brother flew several different bombers including a B 47 in SAC and spent all of his life in the service.

God bless all of the service and the veterans who gave it all protecting America.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:10 am:

When at the final banquet for the Finger Lakes Tour last year, president Russ Furstnow asked all veterans to stand. I thought that was a very nice thing to do for us veterans, and was amazed to see that nearly 1/3 of the group were veterans. Way to go Russ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Thank you, Steve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 08:07 am:

Thank you Denny for starting this remembrance. Thanks for those who contributed. We do owe our freedom to those who sacrificed so much that we can enjoy our pursuits. Though it's been several days since Memorial Day these thoughts are still with me.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 02:35 am:

I talk frequently about the pride I feel for the veterans of my family. It seems we all had our combat experiences. We seldom if ever discuss Specifics. It doesn't make sense to rehash those memories. But over the years we openly wore our pride out where all could see. Now, my brother and I are what's left of the six veterans that were always close and from my Dads side of the family. My brother and I wear our Vietnam Veteran hats proudly. One of the proudest things I've experienced in my life was having a Lieutenant Colonel pin a second Bronze Star (w/oak leaf cluster) on my chest last year on June 14th (Flag Day). My brother John a marine combat veteran, my best friend since I was 11 years old Ted who lost his leg just off LZ West on New Years Day 1971 (I went to visit him in Chu Lia hospital before he left country), my close friend Jim who was an Army Ranger and saw action on the Sinai Peninsula in the late 1950s, and my son were there with me. I wish my Dad, cousins and Uncle, all veterans who have all passed on, could have been there as well. Do I like to tell War stories? Hell no! But I'm damn proud of what I did. While others ran and hid, we all served proudly. Today would have been my Dads 97th birthday. RIP Pa!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 03:01 am:

My best friend's father was a Polish Home Army soldier and fought six
years of Nazi occupation and two more against the Soviets before being
captured and jailed. Before the Soviets could kill him, his comrades overran
the jail, freed him, and he trudged over the Tatry Mountains into Czech
territory and on to Paris and London, before crossing the pond to Canada
and ultimately Seattle, where he spent his career as an engineer for Boeing.

Like most people who saw a lot, he would never talk about it. That is, until
some of us went to Poland and visited. He was still wanted and could not
go back. But when we returned, he had all sorts of things to say.

Hard to imagine anyone ever facing such a long and agonizing ordeal as
what Polish Home fighters did. War is hell, but 8 years of Nazi and Soviet
action ? Wow, .. that must have been one helluva burden to live through.

I had a neighbor growing up, ... Mr Scramlin. He was a WW1 vet. I used
to enjoy going down to his place and helping work his orchard or whatever
he was fussing with and hearing his stories. I went to school with his grandkids.
Bet I heard more of his history than they ever bothered to stop and listen to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 07:06 am:

Even "peacetime" military service is deadly, as the tragedy on USS Fitzgerald shows. I am thankful I never experienced combat but I still experienced some bad things and was acquainted with guys who died doing "routine" non-combat activities. Please say a prayer and raise a glass for the dead and injured sailors in Japan.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration