OT-what not to see on I-90 by Erie, PA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT-what not to see on I-90 by Erie, PA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

I was traveling from Indiana to Utica, NY, and got into a major traffic slowdown on I-90 as we were passing Erie, PA. After working our way through the backup, it turned out to be caused by a nice looking Model A running about 45 in traffic that was trying to go 70+ in a 55 zone! It was raining some as well, and people were running up on the A and having to brake hard, and get left. Trucks were having a real hard time getting around it, all in Friday afternoon holiday traffic that was very heavy! US route 20 is just a couple of miles north and would have been a safer choice!

The second rare car we saw in a really heavy downpour of rain was an Edsel Ranger without working windshield wipers! He was going faster than the A but still a bit of a traffic hazard!

Not saying they shouldn't have the use of the road, but a bit of common sense as to the timing would have been safer for all concerned. They might well cause a major accident without being hit themselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

Amen to that!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:00 am:

I always keep my eye on the traffic behind me. If I see any cars I pull over and let them pass if I can find a safe place to do so, But it has to be a safe place or I will not pull over. No sense in causing an accident. Here in Florida most of the secondary roads are straight and 4 lane. Traffic can see me for at least a couple of miles ahead. I also run flashing yellow strobe lights on the back of my car that are very bright and can be seen from a long way off giving ample warning of a slow moving vehicle ahead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:05 am:

Suicidal tendencies!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 11:31 am:

"The only problem with 'common sense' is that it is not all that common."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 11:34 am:

Hi Will, Whatja use for strobes? I want to put a set on my T, but I'll be using a small 12V Verizon backup battery, so they have to be low current draw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 11:45 am:

The lesson for all of us who have old junk (I mean rare cars :-)) that are slower than regular traffic is to plan our trips! In most cases there's no reason to get out there in the middle of traffic that moves significantly faster than we do. Use alternate routes on less busy, slower streets, roads and highways. By definition, we are not in a hurry, and if you are in a hurry you shouldn't be driving an old, slow car.

If nothing else, think of it as self preserving defensive driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

we are just back from a three week Model A tour of Portugal and Spain. 12 cars, we all kind of agreed that the safest roads to travel were 4 lane highways where traffic could easily pass----we were mostly on secondary backroads, however and of course pulled over for traffic behind. Theres always an IDIOT who just HAS to get by and thats when problems can occur. Foutunately, no problems, we did more than 1500 miles and all cars made it. Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

Paul, I agree that travelling roads where faster cars can easily pass CAN be safer - provided the drivers of the faster cars aren't texting or otherwise distracted and see you in time to pass, instead of running over you from the rear at high speed.

I nearly got rear-ended once by someone who was texting and looked up just in time to swerve around me at the last second. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

John: Go by a store that sells emergency equipment for law enforcement, fire, etc. They have a great selection of small 12volt LED's that are easily programmable for different flash patterns. A simple switch hookup with a sealed battery in the tool box, and you are good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

Paul,

Glad to hear your Model A tour went well.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

My local ACE Hardware store sells a small magnetic base flashing "strobe" light. I googled "magnetic strobe lights" and there are a number of places that sell them. Here's one:

http://gpartsinc.com/marpac-foxfire-logging-truck-amber-led-strobe-warning-light /?CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=42366409868&CATCI=pla-98501787657&catargetid=33000159000002 4461&cadevice=c&gclid=COvg89TIkNQCFZBefgodiloLpA

I stay off of Freeways with my T's !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

As Tim mentioned, I bought mine on line. Iv had them for about 5 years. Never a problem. When I was running 6 volt I hide a small motorcycle battery under the car to run them. They pull very little wattage and can be seen over two miles away in the day light and at night they can be seen flashing as far as the eye can see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

I have had more close calls in the T on neighborhood streets than main roads. I do not drive on freeways!.

The folks on main roads seem to be patient and I will pull over when a couple folks are behind me.

The neighborhood people will not wait and will pass at strange times.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration