Hand brake control: nuts up or down?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hand brake control: nuts up or down?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

The title says it. Do the nuts go inside the frame rail, or underneath? It makes no practical difference, but while I'm at it I might as well do it The Ford Way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

It's a little hard to see on my reprint, but the Ford service manual shows the heads of the bolts inside the frame rails and the nuts underneath (figure 57, page 18).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

That would make sense in terms of saving time aligning the split pin holes and less chance of dropping both the bolts and nuts while under pressure to be quick.
That's the way I did it with both my T's as it made sense
Just my opinion. Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 26, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

Of course. I didn't think to look there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:04 am:

So, just for one's edification, exactly what kind/size nuts & bolts go there? Naturally now that I've read this thread, I just HAVE to check on mine! Always something to do, always something to learn! Love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Fastener charts:

pic1

pic2

pic3

application/pdfpic4
Bolts_nuts_threaded_items.pdf (249.6 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:30 am:

Years ago, I was told by a T mechanic that worked at dealership, to always to always put the bolt in from the top so that if the nut came off you still had the bolt. The nut was cheaper and easier to find he bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:44 am:

Well said, I was taught similar. Having the nuts visible allows one to do a quick visual check to make sure nothing has loosened up as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Well for me i put the bolts on top side why no idea but if they ever rattle loose i only have to find a nut

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Detail from a Ford factory photo, late '13 or early '14:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Thanks Mark. I've got that fastener chart in my "stuff". It doesn't show the brake lever bolts/nuts. The service manual barely looks like the heads are inside the frame rail, yet R.V.'s picture clearly shows the nuts inside the frame rail. And they look just like an ordinary hex nut to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

I don't agree, those look to me like bolt heads in RV's picture, even after I expanded it to maximum size on my screen. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

You can clearly see the cotter pin below the frame, so that is where the nuts are.

Also visible in this cool picture is the 1/4-28 square head bolt used to hold the acetylene lighting piping clip. 1913 and 1914 had the pipe in the frame rail. 1912 and earlier has the piping under the frame on the outside.

The photo is interesting. There are no engine or transmission dust shields, no transmission inspection cover, engine bolts missing, U-Joint grease cup missing, hmmm...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

I think Mark may be right. I also think you can see the "tails" of cotter pins through those bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Tim, the handbrake cross shaft bolts are 5/16" fine threads, approx 3/4" long. As far as I know, this is the only place they were used, and originals are scarce, especially the nuts. On starter equipped cars two more, one a little longer to go through the running board support, were used to hold the starter foot switch. You will find plenty of 5/16" plain bolts and nuts from around the diff centre.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 10:20 am:

There is another, the battery cable support on the later cars. Tim: Put your glasses on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 10:40 am:

I'm laughing my butt off now! Yep Larry, Keith & Mark...truly the cotter's are the tell-tale, I didn't even see them! No doubt now..bolt head at the top in the frame! Heck I keep forgetting to go out and look! By the time I get out there, I think of something else and away I go... :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration