The Know-Nothing Newbie Really Should Know This, But...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The Know-Nothing Newbie Really Should Know This, But...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:49 am:

My question is twofold:

What are some of the countries where the Model T was produced?

and...

Were the parts only assembled in those countries or were they forged, stamped and cast there as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Bob,

In late 1908 for the 1909 model year it was initially only the USA. And even for USA production the wheels, radiators, frames, bodies coils, carbs, lamps, etc. were sourced from outside suppliers. And I do not remember when Ford USA began casting their own engine blocks and machining them. I know Dodge Brothers supplied the engines and transmissions for the 1903 Fords and gradually Ford took over all the engine & transmission casting and production. But exactly when that occurred I do not recall from memory.

Canada started their Model T production shortly after the USA -- i.e. in early calendar year 1909. Canada produced their own bodies (purchased from their Canadian outside body maker), their own wheels also purchased from outside wheel maker and other misc parts. But used the chassis parts from the USA suppliers.
Note that Dodge Brothers was still supplying both Ford USA as well as Ford Canada for a while.
Over time Canada produced almost all of the parts for the Canadian cars. (Note -- the horn button on top of the steering wheel introduced in 1920 model year was produced in the USA and not Canada. And some of the companies that supplied Ford USA opened businesses in Canada to avoid the tariffs. For example Fisher Body company, Kelsey wheel company etc.) For a good read on the "border cities" production see David Roberts' "In the Shadow of Detroit" available online at: https://books.google.com/books?id=THOyZ5JwkEQC&pg=PR4&lpg=PR4&dq=In+the+shadow+of+Detroit+by+David+Roberts&source=bl&ots=8bY6R3qxbd&sig=8o_e44aql3UhCXxLhyNLxSIRoZQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFlLrZopDUAhUI7SYKHR1JANAQ6AEINjAF#v=onepage&q=In%20the%20shadow%20of%20Detroit%20by%20David%20Roberts&f=false

England was next and opened Trafford Park assembly plant. They assembled touring cars starting no later than Jan 1912 but they continued to import fully assembled Town Cars,
Roadster, and Delivery Cars (ref page 51 of "The English Model T Ford" vol 1). By 1923 Ford of England claimed 100% English (castings from Cork Ireland) but that was not completely true -- but really close. Ref page 168 vol 1 again.

From the 1926 "Ford Industries" we see where Fords were assembled and where some production plants were located.

In the legend above note that only those locations with a star shaped symbol or star shaped with an "A" in the middle did actual manufacturing of some parts etc.

Above, I do not see any manufacturing plants in South America

I only see Cork, Ireland and Manchester, England listed as Manufacturing plants for Europe.

Australia & New Zealand used major chassis parts from Canada but did produce bodies (Australia) and other parts (gas tanks come mind) etc.

Perhaps someone else knows of some Ford Model T or Model T parts manufacturing plants outside of the USA in addition to those few mentioned above. Or you may may even spot a Manufacturing location I missed on that map.

Note you will see a few Manufacturing & Assembly locations in the USA with that same "star shape" with an "A" in it. But most USA locations were for assembly of parts shipped to them. Note body assembly apparently was still considered "assembly" and not manufacturing. Even though with the 1926-27 bodies additional locations were welding up the bodies. For example Louisville, Kentucky etc. was just a circle with an "A" but they assembled the bodies from panels supplied to them.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

Thank you, Hap. _Very kind of you to type all that out for me.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration