1926-7 Touring Rear Seat Wood

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1926-7 Touring Rear Seat Wood
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:55 am:

To preface, I've searched the forum, looked at previously posted photos and the Ford books and I can't see clearly how the wood fits.

Cubel shows this on the page they tucked into the box.

I have three pieces that are mitered or tapered on each end and numbered 652. I have the two horizontal rectangular sticks. I have a rear seat frame that has seven punched holes that leads me to believe I should install it as shown in my sketch #1. If I go this way, the upper horizontal stick is intimate with the rear sheet metal and I'm guessing it would dent it if someone leaned into it hard.

I tried fitting the cushion spring to see if it could give me and idea of how much room I have. Either set up will allow the cushion to fit. but the way I show in sketch #2 creates large gaps between the steel lip and the lower horizontal stick which will receive upholstery tacks. It also means only three punched holes can be used.

Am I missing something? If I go with Sketch #2, should I mortise the Cubel 652 pieces into the horizontal piece so that it contacts the steel lip?

I'm wondering which way is correct or is there another way I'm missing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

The horizontal long tack strip goes to the front edge of the metal fold of the seat retainer.

The vertical support tapered ends are then fitted with notches in the horizontal tack strip, and both anchored to the metal fold with stove bolts and nuts. That way the vertical supports are flush with the face of the long tack strip.

Original wood in rear of '26-'27 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

Perfect, that second photo is exactly what I needed to see.

Thanks Dan!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration