Your preference on new 21" tires ????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Your preference on new 21" tires ????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Some stay with the 440/450X21 size, some go oversize to 525/550x21....reasons for a wider tire for better traction and larger diameter,.... some stay with " in the day" tread design while some prefer the 40's style siped tread.

Your preference for best ride & traction apprciated.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.

Thanks
Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Bob, It depends on what I am planning on using the car for. I run 450/21's on the cars that I just use as a car but if I plan on using it on rough dirt and gravel and loading pretty heavy I go with the 525/21's. If you use the 525's it helps to have a stronger engine because it gives you about 3% Hobo overdrive but it also gives you about 20% more rubber on the ground for better braking , you can run a lower air pressure for a better ride and they are 6ply rated. I really like the 525/21's but they aren't the original size the car came with (if that is important to you). Depending on your vehicle you may have to raise it up to make them have enough clearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Hey Dennis what brand tires are you running on at 26? And how quiet is the ride ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

I like the look of the Firestones. They look correct to the period, and so far mine have been wearing very well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

I have the Firestones as well. They ride well and have worn fine so far. If I did Dennis' kind of driving I would have something heavier too. We're kinda rural up here, but at least most of my roads are paved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Firestones on my model Ts and A s. Good ride and the wear is great I buy from Coker tire in Chattanooga Tn. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

A few years ago I got some Universal tires for Rusty. They were really miserable and I was really glad when they wore out. They were slightly undersize so it is almost impossible to expand a split rim into them. I even broke my split rim jack and had to buy another one.

They were a real nightmare on every tire change as long as I had them... I learned my lesson, your experience may vary.

TH

(Message edited by Thorlick on May 28, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

The 21" Firestones are made in the USA.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

Has anyone bought the 21" Lester tires from Universal Tire in Pennsylvania ??

Experiences ?????

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

Bob, I run the Firestones and really like them they are quiet and they are bigger than the Lesters, a guy in our group went with Lesters and they are barely bigger than the 450/21 Firestones, As to how long they last ,I had a set on my roadster for about 30,000 miles and then put them on The T-Tanic and have put another couple of thousand on them and still have miles left in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

I ran a set of Lester tires on my speedster and was disappointed with the wear. Much happier with Firestone tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Anyone have experience with the GoodYear Balloon tires ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

If one looks at Ford factory photos, almost every 26-27 Ford is shod with Goodyear diamond tread tires. It is very obvious in the pictures. The 21" Goodyear diamond tread is being reproduced and is reportedly made in America. The Goodyears are true 4.40/4.50x 21 tires and not oversize 525/5.50x21 size. T speedometers were calibrated for the tire installed on them at the factory, so if you have a 'speedo' (not the swimming suit) and want a correct reading, stick with the original size tire. I have many new Firestones in stock, so I stood one vertical on the floor against a Goodyear. There is a considerable heighth difference, about 1" if I remember correctly, and that will make a considerable difference in a speedometer reading. I bought a set from Snyder for my 27 coupe. Why Snyders? location and shipping cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

Terry: How are they wearing ?? Driving qualities ?? Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vieux Carre on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Use whatever tires you want. I bought Lucas tires, made in Vietnam, because they were $89. My understanding is that rubber was only available in southeast Asia then later in South America such that American rubber tires still have a foreign component. Nylon did not come along until the 1930s and polyester in the 1940s which were both after the Model T era. I've only had this Olympia tread for about 50 feet of travel and looks like I should be able to do that a couple more times.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Bob, I replaced them with Firestones which go on easily. The Universals are vinyl not polyester. They are slippery on wet roads and tend to skid quite easily with the brake. The do have a long tread life. I wore them down to a complete baldy slick before I started to see cord. They were inexpensive and gave good service. I just will never buy one again and will pay the Firestone premium to get a tire which actually fits the rim.

IMHO,TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

Thanks Terry and all who responded

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration