Rear axle housing bent cast iron

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear axle housing bent cast iron
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Miller on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

If you look closely at photo you will see a pretty good bend where the brakes attach. What's the best way to straighten this? THANKSbend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

4 lb hammer on the anvale . or someone will give you a good one charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

I'm sure those don't bend that easy. Wonder how it got that way in the first place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

on the anvil it will bend like butter, with the 4 lb hammer.or i think i have one i would be glad to get rid of ha.ha .charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

I'd also like to know how they get bent up like that.
Most of the axles in my collection have been used in trailer service and it's flippin amazing how beat up some of them get!
I'm with Charley at this point. Adjust it back into place with a hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

Charley and Duey are absolutely right. I was afraid it'd crack one if I took a heavy hammer to it, but I found it will bend and not break. Corrected quite a few that way. I suspect the backing plates are made of cast steel. Others will know about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

Actually, it's not steel or cast iron but malleable iron. It can take a lot of stress before cracking.

Looks like maybe the rear seat was overloaded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

I would use a big crescent wrench. Much more controlable. No need for an anvil and the chance of mis-hits.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 12:23 am:

I've been able to straighten them with a large monkey wrench. They bend easily.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Interesting. I rebuilt the rear axle on my '23 this winter and when I installed the wheel I noticed that the distance between the brake drum and backing plate is slightly greater on one side ... maybe a 1/16"

I rotated the new axle in the housing before installing the bearing and it was centered. Adjusted the radius rods. Everything else is ok ... so now I'm wondering backing plate is simply a little out of whack. I do remember having one housing side roll off a table one day when I was cleaning it. Should I give it a few careful whacks with a lead hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 03:04 am:

Mark - if the distance between drum and backing plate is even all around, the backing plate should be OK - the difference in distance from side to side might be due to a worn hub (can be shimmed if too tight and grinding the brake shoes) or due to the shimming inside the differential.

Some repro axles are made slightly longer to compensate for extra Rocky Mountain drums, worn hubs etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 07:46 am:

Here is what it looks like. There is no binding of the axle and it sits in the center of the housing with the bearing removed. Not sure if this is a problem that I shouldn't worry about ... or address it.

Wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Ok, slightly bent if the camera lens hasn't distorted the view. Maybe not much to worry about if the emergency brake shoes works as they should?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration