Need Help Big Time With Solenoid

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need Help Big Time With Solenoid
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

I have worked on old cars since the 50's. So I am familiar with 6V solenoids and six volt systems. But this has got me stumped big time. I am running a six volt system on my speedster. I wanted a ignition switch to off and on. Everything is hooked up correctly? I had a electric guru come and look at everything I had done. Getting to the point, there is a button on the solenoid, if you push it, the motor turns over like it should, but if you turn the key to start it will turn over not as fast but the solenoid chatters like a low battery. New battery, replaced solenoids 4 times, good ground. What is going on? Thanks for any and all help. Remember the Vets. Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robin Pharis on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Check the voltage from the starter switch at the solenoid , you may have low voltage to the solenoid that will cause the chatting, good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Barclay in west Michigan on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

Could be that the trigger wire should be grounded instead of hot, and it's now using the starter for a ground. Test for continuity between the trigger post and the post hooked to the starter. Hope this makes sense. George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Could you be using a positive ground solenoid in a negative ground system? If thats the case, you might try a push button like the V8s used, single wire grounded thru the case of the switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Use a stock starter button and use the solenoid for a paperweight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 02:59 am:

There are two basic types, continuous duty and instant duty. Continuous duty are used on RVs where they stay connected while you are driving, instant duty are used for starter circuits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Dave may have a point and there are 2 types as he says but I'm not sure if that's your problem. Obviously replacing parts hasn't solved it so it's something that's still there. What exactly does this ignition switch power? You say it cranks normally with the switch off and the solenoid chatters with it on so there's something (drain/short?), going on. Is it a 3 wire or 4 wire solenoid? Absolutely sure about grounds? Not sure if that's critical as it operates with the ign switch off. It's a small coil that operates the solenoid. Doesn't take much power to operate it either. I'd start with a test lamp on the solenoid activation terminal. See if it's power that's jumping in and out causing the chatter. Get back to us. By the way, stupid question: ignition on. Is the timing correct? It's the solenoid chattering and not the engine misfiring.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration