Crispy Starter Switch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Crispy Starter Switch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - Burien, WA on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

I tried to start the barbecue early this year. Time for a new starter switch! Most of the black on the mounting plate is spray paint.

Are there any known issues with this style of replacement switch?
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/starter-switch

fried starter switch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

Ken
There two types of original Model T starter switches. T
he type where the upper and lower sections are held together with screws and the other where the two parts are held together with bend over tabs.
The bend over tab type are problematic for obvious reasons.
The starter switch held together with screws are easily disassembled, simple to repair fabricating new insulators, cleaning the copper stacks and when done are very reliable.
Find the screw type and rebuild it and it will last another 90+ years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

I have a homemade version of the Snyder switch that I put on my 27 coupe 50 years ago and is still fine. I am using a similar switch but made in Mexico and without the bracket on my M Farmall, 12 volts applied to the 6 volt starter. It's still good also. You can buy the switch from your local auto supply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

Ken

the switch that you have linked to is a very good switch and will give you years of service. I have the same switch and have been using it regularly for about 12 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

Ron's advice is sound. In my experience, the copper/plated contact strips in the new replacements are prone to failure. They seem to loose their spring, perhaps due to heat in use. If they will not disengage, you have a problem!!!

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration