Opinions needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Opinions needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

Will the true fire set up in my 26 run basically maintenance free for years to come, as advertised and it is perfect after 6 years. It's perfect but my question is I have a 26rpu and it has all new wiring and coils ect and runs perfect Now. With my job 12-15hrs a day and getting older I wonder if it's worth converting my little truck to TF system. Just asking for opinions. Thanks Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

If your truck runs just fine on the coils, leave it alone. Some day you might want to sell it or your heirs might want to sell it, and an after market ignition system will be a turn off for some potential buyers. Also, by the time it is to be sold, the true fire might not even be available. The coils will always be available as long as there are T's running. If some day your magneto breaks down, you might want to convert it, but not when it works fine.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

Tim, I am an earlier adopter of the True fire ignition in my 1912 van. I ran out of early Heinze coils that worked. From the day I fitted it, it has given faultless service, and I do round 3000 mile each year, mainly city driving.
That said, backup service sought by others has been a little less than optimal. Today, if I was looking for an alternative ignition system, it would be an E-timer. It is much easier to return to a stock system if the E-timer gives trouble, but the one in my Roadster performs beautifully.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

Allan is right if you wanted to make your original system maintenance free the Etimer is a better choice. A much simpler switch back to original. Betting you would never want to.

I tried to help out a friend one time trouble shoot a problem with his T with a TF and was really confused with the changes to the wiring....

My Opinion
FWIW

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration