Model T Field Day

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T Field Day
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

The ever-changing forecast was pretty iffy, but I decided to go to the "second annual" field day at Gary Paulsen's. I knew somebody would ask how far I'd driven, so I made a note of it. From my house to Gary's was 132 miles. A detour for a closed road made it a few miles more than I expected, but I cruised mostly between 35 and 40 mph and had no trouble. The unexpected stretch of 70 mph highway had me paying a lot of attention to the mirror, but it was divided four-lane and I stayed right and didn't get run over.

It was a good turnout with a nice variety of cars.

The Shirk touring gets around Kansas a lot.

Even a Brand X turned up.

Seamus Hnat (blue shirt) has this swell accessory on his 1914. He's braver, or a better mechanic, than I am. He has no battery.

Chef Chris Paulsen does the burgers.

Part of Gary's collection.

He also has some future projects.

TT anyone?

Colton doesn't have a license yet, so we didn't go out on the road. I rode along and he low-pedaled around the yard. I think to say he enjoyed the day is probably san understatement.

Several people got their first Model T rides.

That sky means it's time to hit the road before something really exciting happens. I altered my route home because of storms in the distance. Seeing black clouds to the east ahead of me, I went south. I had to put up the top when I ran into showers for a few miles, but it wasn't a big deal. A county or two farther on, the car was dry. It turned out that the different route made my drive home two miles shorter than the drive going.

If anybody else who was there has some pictures to post, let's see them.

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/TCToHYn_6tE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

Great pics and a great video! Glad the roadster ran well and you had a good time.

That teeter-totter looks like a low band killer! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

Looked like a great time with lotsa nice cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

Thank you for the pictures of what looked like a fun event! Bud.PS,No matter what it took to get those tires mounted,the car looks nice! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

Looked like fun for all. Enjoyed the picts and video. Esp. the teeter totter. Pretty threatening clouds in the distance on the return trip.
Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

Nice video Steve! It started hailing dime to quarter size hail at Gary''s place just after you left. We were able to get the remaining old cars under cover before it hit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

I love your videos. It looked like a great time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

Steve,
What a great car and video.
Must have been a wonderful day.
Thanks for sharing.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

132 miles each way, plus the time spent at the event? Must have been a long day. How much gas did you use? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

Great Pictures! I really appreciate you including the old TT. Nice features to see. Thanks for sharing and inspiring by being out and about. TS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Thanks to David Stroud I have a set of four red reflectors like the ones on the rear of the TT fuel truck in your photo Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Mr. Jelf,

I always enjoy your threads - makes me feel like I am along for the ride.

Thanks for another one ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

Nice pictures Steve.

That TT tanker has hydraulic rear brakes. I'd like to see how that was done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Is that LED headlights on the TT or does it just have pretty green eyes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

I left home at 7:00 AM and got to Gary's a few minutes after 11:00. I left there exactly at 2:00 PM and got home at 6:10, stopping a couple of times for pictures. On the way up I stopped for gas in Eldorado and got 5.6 gallons. I put in another 7.3 gallons there on the way home. I assume from there to home would be another 5.6 gallons, or close to it. The total of 18.5 gallons over 262 miles averages out to about 14.2 mpg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

TT looks like it has 40 Ford car backing plates and drums maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Missett Wyoming, PA (NE) on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

Thanks for sharing. Would love to find a source for the black extended mirrors on that 22 Touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

Dick, Lang's sells them, I have one on my car. Not exactly sure what that extra part is near the mirror, mine didn't come with that, but you can probably remove it it you don't need it.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/7853TEL.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Missett Wyoming, PA (NE) on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

Thank you John. That extra part near the mirror is interesting but I'm stumped as to its purpose. Appreciate the link. Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 12:08 am:

Steve, a great post with wonderful photos.

I'm taking my Touring to my cousins wedding this next Saturday. I'm the transportation to and from the ceremony. The accounting of your trip has me tempted to give it a try to drive the T the 140 miles up North. My only real concern would be the weather. We're still dealing with some high 30 to low 40 degree temperatures and putting up with some rain.

I'll attempt posting some photos when I get home.

Thank you for such a great thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Great photos and cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Is this Gary Paulsen the author? The one that ran the Iditarod several years back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Nope. Same name, different guy.

Here's Ronald Raymer's shot I swiped from Facebook.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:44 am:

Nice cars and looks like nice time. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

Who Owns the Torpedo and where are they from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

Don-the Torpedo belongs to my father, Gary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

I wanted to study speedometer set-ups, but the Torpedo was the only T that had one installed. Some of the cars, like mine, had the big gear on the wheel, but nothing else. While the cheap bike speedometer I'm using is accurate, it's also delicate enough to be failure-prone. I never know when it's going to quit, usually due to damage to the flimsy wiring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:47 am:

Chris, Field day looks like it is a lot of fun with a lot of thought and effort put into it. Is this a club sponsored event?

Maybe you can tell us a little more about your event and the events that you have there. By the one picture you look like you had the grill well under control.

I would like to know more about the event.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Yup-lots of fun. Lots of work, too. I think we'll be recruiting more help if we do it again next year. It's sponsored by the Flatland T's club.

It was an informal day full of activities. All free-even lunch! That usually gets everyone's attention.

We had car games, like the teeter-totter, balloon popping, blind-folded driving. Because it is held at the corner of two dirt roads, we offered driving lessons, and rides to all that were interested.

A new addition this year was a safety inspection. One car had an easily avoided mishap last year, so we had a group of T owners volunteer to look over anyone's car if they were so inclined. There were several that were missing a cotter pin, or could be tightened up here and there, so it was a well-received idea.

All in all, a good day. I only got to take a couple photos. Here's one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration