Axle and driveshaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Axle and driveshaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Miller on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

I'm working on my 1921 rearend getting ready for ROCKY MTN BRAKES. In the photos the drive shaft bearing hub taken off the car ( studs showing )seems to have no replaceable bearing sleeve. The heavy bearing hub with the studs inside has a replacable sleeve. I do not know what year the heavy one is and it seems to fit. Can I use the heavy one with a new sleeve?
Next photo shows a crack in the rear housing where the stud goes. I have one crack like this on EACH half. Problem?
Also it looks like my thrust washers are one bronze and one brass.
Something I learned today, the drive shaft bearing hub studs are 13/32 diameter 16 TPI211921

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

Hi Norman; If you have a 1921 car I believe that you can use ether bearing carrier I have a late 1920 and it came with the carrier that has the bolts exposed, the change came somewhere between 1920 and 1921,The later carrier has the exposed blots. Brad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 01:08 am:

Depends if his rear end has the bevel around the opening for the cupped area on the housing. And yes you are missing the sleeve in the enclosed bolt housing. Don't try cleaning the housing threaded holes with a standard tap, they are special pitched threads. If you don't have a copy I suggest ether getting the club rear end book or a copy of the service manual.

(Message edited by redmodelt on May 30, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 08:19 am:

Whichever pinion bearing housing you decide to use, I would send it as a core in exchange for a Fun Projects bearing. I don't care for a lot of "upgrades" on a Model T, but this is one I'll use every time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration