How do I get this schackle out?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How do I get this schackle out?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

Before I move to brute force, how do I get the shackle out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

If it was me, I'd go for brute force at this point. Do you have a hydraulic press? Support one side with a deep socket to receive the shackle and bushing, then press on the other side. It looks like the threads on top are already mushroomed - if not, and you want to save them, thread a nut on flush with the end of the threads, then press.

If you don't have a hydraulic press, use an air hammer with a flat driving attachment instead. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

Is that a threaded pin? There are / were threaded bushings and pins used on some vehicles, but not Fords, although it could be an aftermarket replacement. If it is threaded, it will most likely unscrew unless it is seized. You'll still have to drive or press the bushing out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

Heat it up to almost cherry red then let it cool. You'll probably need to get another good shackle anyway by the looks of it.

You need to remove the bushing. You may have to saw off the mushroomed end flush with the spring and press or drive it out.

Whatever you do heating it up first and cooling it will definitely help it come out easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

I would not heat a spring eye to remove a stuck shackle as the spring eye is just rolled stock with an open edge that will expand and the spring is made to flex and you don't want to change that and chance it to crack and break later.

The shackle bolt has already been hammered on and that didn't work. A press will push it right out, to facilitate that you could dunk the end in a cup of ATF or any motor oil for a day before. If properly supported the bolt will push out as the spring eye opens in the joint.

A torch will work wonders on a stuck bolt with threads to break the bond but in something like this that is basically just a "nail" push it out and don't heat the leaf spring and ruin it. Some bad things have happened with broken springs while driving. Heating a spring for no reason is not a good idea, pressure properly supported will work the best.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 08:22 am:

I used a small hydraulic press and a deep well socket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 10:51 am:

You wont ruin the leaf spring if you dont overheat it. Common sense will tell you that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 11:12 am:

James thank you for visual.
A small butane torch helped on the opposite end. The one in the picture still not budging after torch. I don't have a press, But I have a buddy. When he is back in town, we will give it a shot. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Use a press to drive out the bushing and shackle together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Common sense is that you don't need to heat a leaf spring eye as it has an open joint that will expand as it is just a rolled edge. Common sense is that cherry red is overheated. You don't have to saw anything off as it is just a "bolt" that is threaded on both ends and doesn't have a hex head (actually it is a stud), this is just a slip joint that doesn't slip anymore and is actually designed to rock back and forth.

Heat on a leaf spring in this area is not my best idea as I want the leaf spring to "spring" and don't want to change anything about the spring by heating it cherry red at the worst place...the end that takes the force for the entire front end assembly.

A press will push it out as the spring eye has no compression, heating it cherry red is at the point you can bend it with a pair of channel locks and now the metal has changed. It might no longer be a spring but become a fracture. That would not be a good day due to bad advice.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

hind sight is 20-20 but I bought a lead hammer 1 time that I use for stuff like this. I should a bought a dozen when i had the chance.
you can whale on it all you want and do little damage. But with that and some Kroil, stuff usually moves!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 12:07 am:

Looks like a V-8 shackle part.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration