Valve Job Cleanup

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Valve Job Cleanup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

After the customary "valve job", whether lapping with valve lapping compound, or cutting new valve seats with modern carbide valve seat cutting equipment, I think it is very important to certain that all of such grit is completely cleaned out of intake and exhaust ports and out of valve chamber on side of engine. This COMPLETE and THOROUGH cleanup is especially difficult to accomplish after an "engine-in-car" valve job.

What method(s) have you found to be successful and reasonably easy in such an "after-valve-job"cleanup procedure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 03:48 am:

bump (???)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 03:50 am:

So,.....nobody has any idea about a good way to effect this
is important cleanup job,....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 03:59 am:

Compressed air and a good wipe down with a solvent soaked rag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 06:28 am:

Spray it down with diesel fuel and blow out with an air gun. Change the fluid and run

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Harold

I lay a shop rag in the valve chamber to catch or deflect any debris if I'm cutting a seat. Not much chance for that, since the pilot for the cutter is in the valve bore and any material simply goes out the exhaust/intake port. A solvent/rag clean up for that is adequate. As for grinding paste, you should put so little on that there is no more than a "swipe" of material to clean off of the seat and valve. If you're cleaning or having to clean, grinding paste anywhere else, then too much paste was used. Since the actual contact area between valve and seat is so small, a little bit goes a long way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Aaaah,..... rags in bottom of valve chamber and a bit of wash with diesel and blow off with air! I sure can't think of anything any better than that,.....thanks guys,....harold

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration