CLUTCH STUCK IN MEMORIAL DAY PARADE

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: CLUTCH STUCK IN MEMORIAL DAY PARADE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Sillery on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

POSTING AGAIN AS EARLIER POST TODAY WITH PICTURE DOES NOT SHOW

22 DEPOT HACK

Talk about panic. Clutch pedal stuck to floor in low during parade. Suck with overs forward and in neutral. Had to pull it up with edges of shoes.

Just changed oil to Castrol synthetic 10-40w for motorcycles based on readings. Could that be the problem? Was using Castrol 10-30 and also straight 40w prior to the synthetic change. Only had clutch problem when somewhat cold as at end on inclined driveway. But never constant like today.

Thoughts??? Really don't want to run over girl scouts in next parade in July.

Thanks

Russ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

I had problems with an old car changed from normal to synthetic. I would avoid it. Better minds speak up as to why spring pressure on clutch band would not release due to oil??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Your clutch linkage is probably improperly adjusted so it goes up and over center causing the pedal to stay on the floor. Nothing to do with the plates or oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

How much air pressure in the tires ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

Russ; I think the toggle link between your low pedal and the high speed fork arm on the left side of the transmission cover is just a little bit short, allowing the link to go over center, the Ford repair manual describes how to adjust it. If this is not the problem then your low speed band is adjusted too loose. Brad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

Hi Russ,

Yikes, doncha hate it when that happens!

What you described is, to me, not a clutch problem but a symptom of low band needing adjustment and possibly adjustment of the low speed connection.

I suppose that with the synthetic oil being more slippery you had to depress the low pedal harder to engage and thereby went over center, but adjustment was to be needed very soon anyway.

Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Read these links regarding other causes:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/214246.html?1306856755

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/293610.html?1338795422

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

Simplest reason for getting stuck in low is if the band is worn enough to allow the low cam to pull over to the flat - if everything else was OK before, re-adjust your low speed band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Russ, these guys got it. Like Dan Treace describes in Erik's second link (scroll down just a bit to the picture), loosen the jam nut on the right side of the trans cover,
turn the adjustment screw IN 1/2 a turn and try again. If that doesn't keep it from sticking, go another 1/2 turn IN. Lock the jam nut when you have it set. :-)
I like to keep the bands loose on my favorite T and that's my adjustment technique for low. When it doesn't stick down, it's good.
I use FIRM foot pressure to test for sticking down. Mine's almost ready for a 1/2 turn IN again as I'm working with new bands yet.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

My car was stuck in low at one time and it was because the cotter pins had not been placed along the clutch fingers when the transmission rebuild was done. I did not do the work, incidentally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

I had similar issues, the cams were worn out and got to the point they were wearing so fast I could not keep the band adjusted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

That only happens if you can push the pedal all the way to the floor.

If the band and linkage is properly adjusted, it will never happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Sillery on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Thanks everyone. Knowledge + Experience with a generous amount of Wisdom = MTFCA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Sillery on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 11:29 am:

FYI, I adjusted the clutch via the right side lock-nut/tightening bolt 1.75 turns..... Bingo!

Blaster oil the day before then 2 pots boiling hot water and a breaker bar + pipe to loosen the lock-nut this morning.

Thanks again everyone

Russ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

Hi Russ,

I am happy for you that you have fixed your car.

Not to be too technical or worse, pedantic, but the adjustment you made is to tighten the low speed band.

It is not the clutch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

1.75 turns is a lot when adjusting a band, usually half a turn is enough. What's the distance between the pedal and the floorboard now when in low gear? Shouldn't be more than 1-1/2" , if more the band may be too tight, causing unnecessary friction?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

Roger

Think that Russ did OK to get the low pedal back. His later post has the problem of rusted stuck lock nut on the low band adj. screw. If that lock nut was that stuck, bet the low band hadn't been adjusted in a long time, so the lining would be rather thin by now, needing a bit more adjustment. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

I'm new to 'T's' but I just learned this myself, , linkage and loose band, like really loose! at least two turns with my fingers to even get the slack out, the trans as been rebuilt but I know very little about them, yet, , yep, panic time when pedal stuck down!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration