Best oil or something modern that will last long when oiling front axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Best oil or something modern that will last long when oiling front axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

Best thing to put in the oil cups on the front axle. All new but regular oil drips through eventually I get it to keep it slick but is there a better oil solution. Some said chain saw bar oil... just needs some opinions I really don't want to be wiping oil up if I don't have to. Thanks in advance Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

If you can find it, summer grade chainsaw oil is sort of close to the consistency of honey and works great. If not, 250 wt. or 600 wt rear end oil works pretty well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

I use the 600W or SAE 250 I use in the rearend with great success. Have driven many miles (1000s) and minimum wear in my king pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

I use 600 wt oil in my oil cups.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

600 w sounds great I have a few bottles on the shelf from my models A s. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 12:10 am:

I've been using regular motor oil for over 50+ years. Never a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 06:25 am:

I use chainsaw oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 08:41 am:

I was told to use bar and chain oil in my oilers. Seems to work great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 08:54 am:

I pump grease into my shackle bushings using a rubber-tipped grease needle:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/755416.html?1494970959

I use chain saw bar oil in my kingpins because I worry that grease might make it all the way down the pin from the top. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 09:00 am:

I use leftover 600W from my rear end rebuild. When I filled the differential I still had about an oil can's volume left in the bottle. Works great, except when it's pretty cold it's hard to pump out of the oil can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Guys are right about the chain oil however since you claim to have some 600 wt. layin' around go with that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 10:07 am:

STP ??

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration