FABco outside brakes with picture.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FABco outside brakes with picture.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Bausch on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

A friend and I have a 1923 TT truck with a FABco frame conversion. While looking for FABco information I came across the following ad for outside brakes. I am interested in purchasing complete sets,pieces or parts. If any one has a set but are not for sale I would very much like a picture none the less. The ad does not say specifically T or TT. Any information would be great. Thank you Gary Fabco outside brakes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

Is this coincidence, or what ?

I have the Fabco brakes off my car right now and was just cleaning them up to replace the old lining this afternoon. I found that one of the brake shoes has a braze repair and came into the house to post a want ad for one each Fabco brake shoe.

OK, Gary, I can't offer you any parts. But I can give you some information.

1. The brakes that I have look just like the ones in the picture above.

2. My Fabco's were mounted on a '12 Touring. Whether the same set would also fit a TT, I don't know.

3. My brakes are set up on the small diameter rear drums, acting on the outside surface, of course. They are actuated by the standard emergency brake lever and all of the regular e-brake linkage. The only change is that the brake rods are slightly bent to attach to the Fabco lever rather than to the Ford internal internal shoe lever.

4. The Fabco's work very well indeed. I can easily slide the rear wheels on dry pavement.

5. Other than the brakes on my car, I had never heard of Fabco.

6. So, Gary, you beat me to the punch. But if you or someone else has one extra P/N 101 shoe, I'd sure like to have it for my car.

7. 6 munce ago I coode not even spell fabco. Now I are a expurt !

Dick

Fabco 1

Fabco 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

One last thing I failed to mention above:

The Fabco's aren't self energizing. They seem to work equally well going forward or backward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Were these originally intended to be hooked up to the brake pedal or the hand brake lever?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:55 am:

It sounds to me like you give up your original parking brake for these? I assume too, you give up your original brake rod supports?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Stephen - I don't know whether the Fabco brakes were originally intended to be hand or foot operated. The only evidence that I have is the configuration of my car, which has been in the family since 1961. I was hoping that some more information would surface by posting on this forum.

Larry - The way my car was set up, yes, the original parking brake is gone. When I took the car apart there were no original shoes at all. The car had a Warford installed, and the radius rods were (shortened, of course) split type. The brake rod supports were late type and heavily bent to retain the rods.

Both Stephen and Larry raise good questions and I'd like to know the best way to put it all back together. I'm removing the Warford and trying to get back to the original 1912 configuration as much as possible. But I sure do like the Fabco brakes and intend to keep them.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

An internet search this morning easily located the web site for the current Fabco corporation. They appear to be a global operation, making truck and heavy equipment drive train components. The link below describes the history of the company, and claims that they got their start in 1919 by making Ford truck frame extensions. No mention of the brakes themselves.

The Fabco web site claims worldwide aftermarket parts and technical support. Maybe I should just call up the parts department and ask for a service manual and a new brake shoe ?

http://www.fabcoautomotive.com/index.php/about/about-us

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration