Rear Door Alignment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear Door Alignment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Jebavy - Decatur, TX on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

I have a '19 Touring and the right rear door latching mechanism does not align with the strike plate on the body. The top front of the door is about 3/8" above the top of the body. To latch the door I have to push down on the door to get the latch to line up and catch. I have looked at the door hinge and it doesn't appear that I can make any adjustments to it to lower the front of the door. Any suggestions on how to adjust the door will be most welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

door hinges are very flexible they can be adjusted very easily with a crescent wrench & a screw driver to put between the hinge.cant tell how much room you have in the frt but if you open the top hinge& bend the bottom one back the door will come down. i have adjusted hundreds of doors this way. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Jebavy - Decatur, TX on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 07:19 am:

Thanks Charley for the tips. I should have enough room in the front to bend it down. I will try your suggestion this evening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 07:44 am:

Hinge pin may be worn and need replaced also.

Sometimes the door gets pulled down by someone holding on to it and using it as a support to step up on the running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Jebavy - Decatur, TX on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Dennis, I will check that out as well. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:07 am:

Charley,
Please explain the adjustment process in more detail. I don't understand how the crescent wrench and screwdriver would be used.
Thanks,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:08 am:

The first and next to last picture would indicate the door or body was repaired and/or re-wooded incorrectly. Looks like someone repaired the door without checking alignment. Or the body was repaired without having the door hung. Or some combination of both. The bottom curve doesn't match the body. No amount of hinge work will repair that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:45 am:

The problem most likely can't be adjusted for by bending the hinge. The wear marks on your door opening show how the door is already pushed back against the rear of the door opening. Even bending the upper hinge, so as to cant the door forward & down, will only cause it to bind more at the area just below the lower hinge.

The problem is that the door opening itself is wider at the top than it is at the bottom. Measure to confirm this. Does the gap along the bottom of the door also taper? It's as if the rear of the body rotated back a bit, stretching the door opening and making the door point upwards. It's maybe possible to shim that corner of the body, between the body mount and the frame, to push that corner back up and close the tapering door opening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Put your hands under the top saddle and lift the rear corners of the body to see if they move. The corner brackets that tie the rear of the body to the wood sills are often overlooked. The screws deteriorate and / or the wood strips and when things get loose a lot of movement happens there. It's a tough job to do in place, but it is doable. Having done that job recently, I removed the screws (most yanked out), jacked the body to the proper position, drilled out the wood as oversized as I could without drilling the steel bracket, blew everything out, injected with thickened West System epoxy, redrilled, and installed new screws. Everything was tight as a drum after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 12:15 pm:

hinge ajust. use the screw driver to spread, crescent to close. they may be right your wood may be messed up. good luck.charley charleyajustajust

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Jebavy - Decatur, TX on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Thanks to all for your comments, observations, and suggestions. I tried Charley's tip about the screwdriver in the hinge to help open it up. I have a little more work to do but I think it will work. The door does rub and bind a bit below the lower hinge as indicated on the photo but for now I will have to live with it. I have had the car for 12 years and the door offset has gotten a little worse every time I drive it with it getting to a point on our Club's recent tour that it really needed attention. I also have no doubt that whoever last restored the car didn't know much about what they were doing. Thanks again.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration