Found Model T Chassis

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Found Model T Chassis
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl A. Russell on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

Found this Model T chassis/frame while clearing some acreage at a local estate. Not sure what it is, suspect a '26 or '27, but not sure if its a car or truck. Not sure if its worth keeping either. Looks like someone welded 6-lug artillery wheels to the front hubs, original wires on the rear.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Model T Chassis

(Message edited by CAR on May 29, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

It's a car chassis, not a Ton Truck. Probably some parts worth salvaging.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to offer a guess as to the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl A. Russell on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Here's a picture from the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

Anything which is not bent nor broken is salvagable. Looks like around 1923-1925. The frame is so bent that it could be straightened, but probably a better one would be easier.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl A. Russell on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

How would I know if it was for a coupe, roadster, or sedan, or does the chassis fit all except trucks? Obviously I am a novice on these; this is my first post and I know nothing about Model T's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Looks like hassler mounts on front axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl A. Russell on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

What does the presence of "hassler mounts" tell me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Hasslers are a period "shock absorber" doo-widgit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Model T Ford Frame Pocket Guide

The square holes can be used to identify the differences in Model T Frames.

YEAR # of SQUARE HOLES ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

1909 - 1913 0 short rear cross member with forged body bracket

Mid 1913 - early 1915 0 square holes

Early 1915 - 1916 2 square holes top of each rail

1917 - mid 1919 5 square holes top of each rail

Mid 1919 - late 1919 5 square holes drivers side, 4 holes passenger side

Late 1919 - mid 1920 5 square holes each side

Mid 1920 - early 1923 4 square holes each side

Early 1923 - late 1925 3 square holes each side

Early 1926 - end 1927 long rear cross member - 3 square hole each side

All of the square holes are located on the top of the frame rails at the front end

Best of luck,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl A. Russell on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Does that help narrow-down the chassis year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

Sorry Carl, I missed the novise part. Just some of the parts someone may need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl A. Russell on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

Mine has three square holes total on each frame rail; they are positioned towards the front. How do I identify rear cross-member differences?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

I know I wouldn't chunk it but I fix things others would not using parts from such as this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vieux Carre on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

1926-7 has 11 inch rear drums, earlier is 8 inch.
Later 1926-7 has engine number stamped on right frame top about where the angle iron is welded.
I think thru 1925, frame is 1/8 inch thick, 1926-7 is 3/16 inch.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 11:10 pm:

Well, as Mack said, it's save-able, but. . . Lots of parts there: if the rear hubs are wire wheel hubs, they're a good part of swap/sell, looks like a complete set of double-coil spring hassler mounts (no springs though. Possibly good front & rear spring, maybe good rear wheels, axle housing, front axle might be OK too, hard to tell about the engine pan. Front wheels appear to be about '34 Chrysler Corp. wheels (Plymouth??).
So parts worth keeping, but if you want to sell, not a lot of value there, mostly good to keep from being cut up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 11:29 pm:

Hi Carl, I see the experts here (and I mean that in a good way) have thrown you directly into the deep end on this. I'm barely an amateur so hopefully I can get you started on ID'ing what you have.

Most obviously, it's a Model T frame. It's definitely not the Model T Ton Truck (TT) because while they had the engine and front axle of a T, they were noticeably longer frames and with a completely different rear axle. Beyond it not being a truck, I don't believe you will get any clues about what body style it was since they all used the same chassis. In period advertisements you'll often see the Model T called "The Universal Car" and that's because the only substantial difference was the body itself; the radiator, engine, hood, running gear, chassis and fenders were shared across the whole line in order to help keep unit costs down.

The guide that Dominic posted could help narrow down the year of that chassis and if it's a 26-27 you'd likely be lucky enough to find the serial number stamped on top of one of the rails somewhere around the middle.

Those goofy scissor things that connect the leaf springs to the axles are what's left of period auxiliary springs. As built by Ford there would have been ordinary shackles there but what you have would have had small coil springs in the open ends. The most well known manufacturer of these was called Hassler and the name has become a generic term for the device, kind of like Kleenex.

The rear axle to my eye looks like a pre-26 due to the smaller size brake back plates. Those rear wheels could either be on the proper 26-27 wire wheel hubs, or they could just be welded to wood wheel hubs like the front wheels have been.

The front axle is on backwards, I assume to aid in whatever rig was devised to steer it as a wagon. I also see that the front spindles don't appear to be the 26-27 style since the axle is at about mid-height.

All in all, someone can use a lot of the parts there but don't expect any of them to be particularly valuable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 01:43 am:

The aux spring mounts on the front are, I believe, Float - A - Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

Frame-Car
Front Axle-is on correctly but the tie rod and what's left of the drag link have been installed on the front side.
My guess and this is with out a picture is the rear wire wheels are Model A, as the center part looks 2 large to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

mid twenties Model T frame made into a 4 wheel trailer, likely had a wood stake bed at some time.

Maybe still has some bearings in the rear axle worth saving, frame rails really bent up. Front axle welded with stay plates to keep front end from turning as it was done up for a farm wagon.

The remains of 'Float A Ford' shocks on the and rear. Shock absorbers didn't come on the Ford, these are aftermarket accessories put on this T prior to the body and engine removed to make a trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Instness on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 02:12 am:

The front axle is backwards. The tie rod is in front of the axle. Why would someone do that? Possible steering for it if being towed as a farm wagon?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Yup. It would be more clear if it still had a tongue or a draw bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl A. Russell on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

Thanks for all the input. I will be listing it in the classified - as it sits - and will not part it out; hopefully someone can/will benefit.
Again, thanks to all!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration